Overclocking the 8800 GTX, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I overclocked my q6600 to 3.0 ghz and went from a 3dmark06 11,700 to a 12,600ish. I'm satisfied with 3.0 ghz as it is stable and I don't need to up my stock voltage ( don't want anymore heat to be honest ). Anyways I feel its time to overclock my 8800 GTX ( again looking for a mild-medium OC, dont wanna push it to the max OC capable ) and I already have ATI Tool and Rivatuner. What I am confused with is what the ratio should be on the core clock and memory clock. I noticed some had their gtxs at like 670/1060 and that Blitz guy suggested starting out at 600/950? Anyone have any recommendations on what to start at and does anyone have an explanation for which number is more importance and what it means? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Lastly I noticed people do OCs like 658/1058 in the top list but a lot of overclocking websites tend to do overclocks like 660/960 ( much lower memory clocks ) and I was wondering whats the reason for this?

Another added question: Is my q6600 the bottleneck at 3.0 ghz or is my stock 8800 GTX the bottle neck?

er well I just took the chance and overclocked it to 600/980 using a 3mhz/10mhz core/memory clock ratio that this one site recommended ( it seems most use like a 3 mhz/7 mhz core/memory clock ratio thought ) and got my 3d benchmark2006 score boosted from 12,700 to 13,100! wooo!

Futuremark - ORB - Result Analyzer

I think that some people keep their mem clocks lower because it has less of an effect as the core clock does on performance, so overclocking the memory less gives you more headroom on your core clock.

I think I was the "Blitz guy" you were talking about lol. I was saying that what I did for my GTX was, I started out at a mid-range overclock like 600/950 and went up from there, testing for artifacts and checking the temperature each time I raised the core/memory clock until I finally couldn't go higher than my current 660/1060.

Congrats on your new 3DMark06 score, by the way.

I think that some people keep their mem clocks lower because it has less of an effect as the core clock does on performance, so overclocking the memory less gives you more headroom on your core clock.

I think I was the "Blitz guy" you were talking about lol. I was saying that what I did for my GTX was, I started out at a mid-range overclock like 600/950 and went up from there, testing for artifacts and checking the temperature each time I raised the core/memory clock until I finally couldn't go higher than my current 660/1060.

Congrats on your new 3DMark06 score, by the way.

thanks, is 600/950 ( Im at 600/980 ) really considered mid range? I thought it was sorta like this:

mild OC: 600 core clock speed
mid range OC: 625 core clock speed
high range OC: 660+ core clock speed

source: Based on this overclocking forum chart *OFFICIAL* 8800GTX/GTS OC thread - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

yeah overclocking is wierd like that .. haha
blitersety, are you gonna oc your q6600 more then 2.83? and is it g0 ?

Yes I will OC it as high as possible once I can afford the Thermaltake 120 Extreme.

My current score of 14,210 on 3DMark06 was achieved by temporarily pushing it to 3.159 Ghz on the stock cooler with AS5 thermal paste... very risky I know, but temps didn't go higher than mid sixties during the test and it's back down to 2.83 now... yes, it is a G0.

lol i never really worried about high temps.. for a suicide run there is absolutely nothign to worry about..

on my e6600 i was running 3.6ghz on stock cooler just to get some super pi and 3dmark times!!!

and on this q6600 now, w/ this dud mobo, i've pushed through w/ 1.45v to get 3.4ghz but the stupid ram crapped out on me... i think the board i have has a terrible vdroop... because it doesnt seem to wanna stay stable even w/ the high volt output.. and this is a G0.. so i'm sure its the board holding me back.. seeing as it hardly likes any fsb settings over 1200

lol i never really worried about high temps.. for a suicide run there is absolutely nothign to worry about..

on my e6600 i was running 3.6ghz on stock cooler just to get some super pi and 3dmark times!!!

and on this q6600 now, w/ this dud mobo, i've pushed through w/ 1.45v to get 3.4ghz but the stupid ram crapped out on me... i think the board i have has a terrible vdroop... because it doesnt seem to wanna stay stable even w/ the high volt output.. and this is a G0.. so i'm sure its the board holding me back.. seeing as it hardly likes any fsb settings over 1200

No one seemed to answer this question:

Question to everyone if you overclocked your 8800 GTX past 630 mhz core: Whats the longest time duration you've done the ATITool artifact test without artifacts, errors, or timer resets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom