Overclocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
How do I know when to increase voltages without screwing everything up... and when not to increase...?

Preventing damage while still raising the vcore is easy, just make sure your temperture stays less than 60 under load. You don't increase it when your computer boots into Windows successfully and runs prime95 successfully.

Also, if I get the blue screen that says everything had to be shut down to protect windows blah blah blah... do I generally need to increase, or decrease voltages, because it did it when my RAM voltage was on "AUTO" but didn't when I made it 2.65 V.

Blue screen means you need to raise either the vcore or the DIMM voltage or loosen RAM timings, or you need to lock your AGP/PCI/PCI-E slots...

Prime95 is a program that takes your CPU through an extensive never ending test that runs it at full load, just google prime95.

Is it generally good to have RAM timings on "AUTO" or should I really be setting them myself to make sure that they loosen when I need them to?

Never, EVER have your BIOS configuring anything automatically, you always want everything set by user.

BTW if you have Cool n Quiet enabled I suggest you disable it as it messes with the vcore.

Yeah, you kinda scared me with that "Never EVER". It is automatically doing stuff right now... should I be worried?

Why shouldn't you let bios configure it for you?
Because you have no idea what the BIOS is changing and when and where and how. It could be altering your vcore or memory timings while you are Windows, or playing a game or something and will most likely result in instability. Plus it most likely won't like going very high and you won't get nearly as much out of your overclock.

Imagine having something "automatically" driving your car for you. Well, that's my thoughts on a nonuser defined BIOS configuration. In all honesty, if you don't know what you are doing to a point where you are letting the BIOS do it for you, ya really shoudn't be doing it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom