Overclocking a 2600+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN

In Runtime
I have a Althlon xp 2600+ and I want to overclock it to 400 mhz fsb. Right now I have a stock fan and was wondering what fan do I need to get to keep it stable at this speed.

the FSB controls the ratio between the speed of the RAM and processor. So if you have DDR400 RAM, you want the ram to run at 400mhz, so you set the FSB at 200 (DDR = Double Data Rate, so 2x200 =400). So since the FSB is at 200, you change the multiplier to whatever setting works for you. Since the 2600+ is stock speed at 2 gigs, you want to start the multiplier at 10. So 10x200 = 2000 mhz = 2 gigahertz. Then you up the multiplier bit by bit and see if your processor can handle it. If it doesnt stay stable, try upping the Vcore (the voltage to you CPU) and that will stablize the processor. Each time you up the multiplier, it is a good idea to stress your CPU to find it's max temperature, so get something Like Motherboard Monitor to watch the temp, and download Prime 95 to test it. You probably want to keep your Athlon XP CPU temps below 60C. So overclock as much as you can without the temps going to high.
So to really answer your question, you need to tell us what speed you want to run at, because "400 mhz FSB" really has nothing to do with your CPU as much as your RAM. If you have DDR333, it will be pretty hard to get your FSB to 400 megahertz. So make sure you have DDR400 RAM.
And if you are asking what cooling will give you the highest overclock, gotta be water cooling. I recommend the Thermaltake Bigwater set, as it can be found for under 150 (seach pricegrabber), and is one of the best Liquid cooling solution kits out there. If you dont want to shell out too much money for cooling, thats fine. Thermaltake also makes some of the best air hsf's. The Volcano 12+, or if you dont like fan's loud, go for the Silent Performance one. Zalman makes some good fan's too, but i dont have much experience with them. Someone else can probably tell you what is good and what isnt.
If you need to know more, we need to know more too. Tell us what kind of RAM and motherboard you have, and that will help us explain stuff to you much easier.

Stock speed on a 2600+ barton is 1.92ghz. If you have pc3200 DDR you can set the fsb at 200 and the DDR will be set at 400mhz and your cpu will be set at 2.3ghz. Ive doe this w/ just a Thermaltake11 Xaiser edition and it kept my cpu at about 47c.

I realized that I could raise my fsb to 200 or 400 at ddr. Sorry I phrased that wrong. My question was do I need a thermaltake, and from you reponses it looks like I do.

BTW, I also have PC3200 ram and I can't run them dual channel without crashing. might this just be a problem with my board or does something elso need to be configured. I have a MSI K7N2 delta board with the Nforce2 ultra 400 chipset. runs in single channel without a hicup.

Did you buy them as a set or buy one stick later than the other? Sometimes the memory has errors and doesn't run in dual channel correctly. Use a program like memtest86+ to see if either of your RAM sticks are faulty. Try one, then the other, then both in single channel, then try it in Dual Channel.

You only need to go extra cooling if your full load temp starts getting above 55C or so. Also you can change your multiplier assuming it's not locked and get the same clock speed but adjusting the FSB to full utilize the PC3200. You don't just have to bump it up to 200 and if you do I suggest you go in increments.

as i have found out from my experience, extra case fans can really help airflow, which in turn can change your cpu temps a ton... maybe even more than a new heatsink/fan would (reference: nubius's super cooling machine :p).
It would be a good idea to see if you have good airflow thoughout your case, because 1 fan on the side of the case wont cut it. if you have one side of the case pushing in air, then the other should be pushing out air just as fast. So instead of blowing 30-50 bucks on a new heatsink, maybe see if adding case fans would help yourself a bit too. Maybe get both. Case fans only run about 5-7 bucks each so thats not too bad.

unfortunately my case has only one spot for a case fan an output. I do plan on taking advantage of it but it won't help much with out another fan blowing in.

Do like I did and start cutting holes and making your own fan spots :D Unfortunately I think I may be purchasing a new case sometime soon because although the project was fun and it keeps my computer cool, with the cases out now that has 120mm fans in the front and back they probably offer the same if not better airflow than what I currently have. Probably get one of those duct mods so my CPU is getting air directly from outside :D

Im in the same situation as you with a 2600+ barton OCing, I had to push the PSU into the center of my AT case and cut a hold in side panel to provide for and air input because the PSU fan was stuck in the side of case. I used clear plastic sheeting and covered the now open back of case, and cut more out of that to fit a 80mm fan.

Then since i used the Ext. Volcano 12+, I took my old heatsink, stole the 3800rpm fan, and drilled another hole in the top of the case at 60mm to fit that, which actually makes good airflow. I still have to drill two more for the other side panel as intakes, but the heatsink works very well, I highly recommend it.

But if you have a alluminum case like me, sometime the circular holes you cut....don't end up in a circle...but you love them anyways, and just makesure you space out the holes for screwes and the holes for airflow enough to prepare for any errors you have while making your modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom