overclocked i5 2500k to 4.5ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyh1ppo

Solid State Member
Ive never overclocked before but decided it was time to. Got my 2500k up to 4.5ghz and am making sure how to check it's stability and making sure everything is ok. Is running intelburn at maximum and checking the temperatures on coretemp enough to ensure everything is stable and ok? Or is there other better programs to run. As I've done that and it's says it stable and no core temps went higher than 72C, how does that sound?
Thanks for the help

Sounds pretty good. 72C is roughly what I get on Intel Burn Test at 4.5GHz.
What are your specs btw (particularly case and cooler).

You'll also want to run either Prime95 or LinX for a few hours (it's preferable just to leave it overnight). That'll fully test the stability of the system.

What voltage are you on at 4.5?

ok ill run prime95 when i get a chance, thanks.

Specs are:
CPU: i5 2500k
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth P67
RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyper X Genesis 1600MHZ
Case: Coolermaster CM Storm Sniper Black
CPU Cooler: COOLIT Eco ALC

I left the voltage to 'auto' to see what it automatically changed to and it went to 1.3V, so i then set it to 1.3V. Does that seem ok with the temps i was getting?

(Thanks for the quick response)

Hmm, well it's a bit toasty compared to mine if you're only on 1.3V, but if it's stable at 4.5GHz in Prime after a few hours, then it's fine :)

Thinking back when the vcore was set to auto, the voltage may have been slightly higher than 1.3V so that may be the reason for the temp. Ill run intelburm again to double check it then if all is well run prime overnight

If you run CPU-Z it will tell you what voltage (and frequency) you are running at.

just ran inteburn again with cpu-z and coretemp and when vcore is set to auto at 4.5ghz the voltage went to 1.35V with a maximum temp of 72C. so thats solved that, was just my mistake! should i go into bios and set the vcore at 1.34 or 1.35 or just leave it at 'auto'? then run prime tonight

You should definitely have it at manual, it generally makes it more stable. I have mine @ 1.34, so try that and see you it goes. Try to do 10 passes at Maximum, that's what I usually do.

Edit: I'm now curious whether it could go at 1.33. I'm gonna try that now.
Edit2: Yup, perfectly stable at 1.33V.

Have you changed any other settings? Like the Phase Control and CPU Current Compatibility. Those will help.

You'll want to put
Internal PLL Overvoltage on Enable
Load-line Calibration on High or Ultra High
VRM Frequency - Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode - 330 (that's what I have mine at)
Phase Control - Extreme
Duty Control - Extreme

Credit mostly goes to Slaymate (he has the same stuff but he's at 5GHz).

Edit3: In fact I am now seemingly stable at 1.32V. I haven't yet done a Prime95 run yet to be sure, though. I suggest you try 1.32V out too.

You should definitely have it at manual, it generally makes it more stable. I have mine @ 1.34, so try that and see you it goes. Try to do 10 passes at Maximum, that's what I usually do.

Edit: I'm now curious whether it could go at 1.33. I'm gonna try that now.
Edit2: Yup, perfectly stable at 1.33V.

Have you changed any other settings? Like the Phase Control and CPU Current Compatibility. Those will help.

You'll want to put
Internal PLL Overvoltage on Enable
Load-line Calibration on High or Ultra High
VRM Frequency - Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode - 330 (that's what I have mine at)
Phase Control - Extreme
Duty Control - Extreme

Credit mostly goes to Slaymate (he has the same stuff but he's at 5GHz).

Edit3: In fact I am now seemingly stable at 1.32V. I haven't yet done a Prime95 run yet to be sure, though. I suggest you try 1.32V out too.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were stable at 1.3v.
on another forum I saw someone else stable at 4.6 with 1.3v. but every chip and board is different... but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Nice work. You should dynamically clock the cores though. For some reason 99% of overclockers turn this feature off and it's one of the best features of Sandy Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom