overclocked gpu too much need help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question overclocked gpu too much need help!

hey, my name is Idan. I recently downloaded msi afterburner in order to control v-sync
and I saw the overclocking option I didnt know what was i doing and overclocked my gpu (nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti) a bit (core and memory no voltage) . seeing no great difference I pushed the slider close to the "max" (only core,memory a bit and again no voltage) (the "max" i figured was the max my gpu can take) and when I got in game (skyrim) the game crashed. there was an error message concerning my gpu though I didnt read it all. then i reset my gpu clock. and tried getting in game it worked but i only had 16 fps I restarted my computer tried other games nothing. so I read some guides about overclocking and realized my mistakes and still I could not find out what happened to my gpu because it couldn't get that hot in the seconds the game was working and that is the only danger i found about overclocking to much in the guides I read. later I downloaded gpu-z and found out that when I am playing instead of being on my normal core clock which is 823, at max my clock was 405 i dont know how it was before the incident but my games run on 16 fps instead of 60 and I want to fix it.
if anybody knows what happened to my computer or how can I fix it please post it. thanks ahead for any help and sorry for bad English.
edit: the problam just vanished so no need for help any more . though i would still like to know what happened and if there is any damage

ghsi011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: overclocked gpu too much need help!

You need to hit reset in MSI Afterburner or simply reboot your PC with "apply at system restart" unchecked.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I allredy did that and it didnt help, now everything is fine (a few days aftar) but what i would like to know is what happened?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

It's hard to tell without being there but most likely what happened is the bios reset the clocks to 2D and MSI Afterburner went with it. Resetting and rebooting would reset the standard 3D clocks to normal. Lesson to be learned here, don't max things out because they are there. You could damage your card.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks, I learned my lesson
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Now, what I can tell you is the 560ti clocks very well. If you don't mind having the fan at 100% (or 85) all the time, putting the voltage at max and raising the core up 50Mhz at a time to find a stable spot is feasible. Just don't really mess with RAM clocks all that much.

Access to my Plex PM me.

Tags
gtx 560 ti, help with gpu, overclock gpu, overclocking to much