Overclock through an OS?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there was anyway to overclock a processor through an OS? Like, Windows XP or 7 for example? And if it's possible how would one go about it? I ask because if you can do it this way I'd definitely like to look into it and at some point, try it. Thanks for all answers in advance!

The bios is always the best #1 way to overclock. The settings are hard and usually a bad OC wont even let you post on modern boards. You also know exactly what your system is doing, what RAM timings and speeds are being set, and more importantly exactly what volts are being set to accommodate for vdroop and your cooling capacity. With software (no matter what it is) you are taking a risk of letting it control your PC and access that stuff from within Windows which can be manipulated via 3rd party (if you catch my drift). You also don't know if say, you set 1.35v to the CPU if it actually set it to 1.35v or is it really at 1.4v. You can't depend on programs like CPU-Z to display it properly either because the software on those things are just estimating based on the digital VRMs.

Yeah I won't be attempting that. My test tower is nothing if not expendable but that's too rich of a risk for my blood. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom