Optimum System Performance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delboy :)

Baseband Member
Hey guys, im a newbie to this site.

I was wondering if any1 could kindly help me about how I would go about optimising my laptop to run at its optimum performance. Its an Intel Celeron ( yes, I know not the greatest! ) 2.8Ghz and I have 192mb RAM and a 64mb ATi Radeon Mobility. I dont know much about overclocking or optimising system performance.

I heard about overclocking processor speeds via software and that you can do it without getting ya hands dirty but im not sure whether thats possible or not.

I would also like to know how I can add RAM to my laptop because a software called EVEREST tells me how much I have ( 192 ) and how much I can expand it to ( 1GB ).

If any1 could give me any tips on how to make your system run amazing, please let me know.

Your help and expense of time would be highly appriciated!!

Thanks once again,
Delboy

P.S. Im sorry if I make no sense!!

if i knew i would let you know.. i know absolutely nothing about laptops. you probably wont get a response for a while cause it doesnt seem like many people are here.

Welcome to Tech Forums!

As for your question, you can download a program called CPUCooL and overclock your processor with that and monitor memory, CPU time, and tempuratures all with one program. As for overclocking your video card...well I only know how to overclock an nVidia, sorry!

-Dan The Man

You can do a few things to optimize your performance on that laptop.

The good thing is that most of these steps can apply to a desktop, this will make it easier for you to keep these small yet simple steps in mind whenever you might need them.

The first thing you can do is defragment your drive. Contrary to popular belief, an NTFS drive can get very fragmented and thus lower your performance. Windows XP has a utility called Defrag locaged in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools.

It will take a few minutes so try it overnight.

Another one is the disk cleanup (located in the same area as Defrag)

These two simple steps can drastically improve your performance when it comes to the hard drive.

And look at that... you got multiple responses on the same day.. look like there are people around.. :)

R cheers peeps!

Couldnt be more grateful for your help and time to post a few replys, its really appriciated and made me feel welcome as a new member.

Thanks alot once again guys.
Delboy

Whoa whoa whoa, don't do any overclocking with your laptop. You're just asking for trouble there. Laptops are hot enough as it is with all those parts combined in there. Not a lot of room for heat to escape. So unless you got $$$$ to throw away I wouldn't suggest overclocking a laptop. OC'ing is best left to desktop computers with adequate cooling. Also...don't even try to OC your graphics card either. Same thing applies here as does your CPU...it'll just be too hot. As for the RAM, if you look on the back of your laptop I'm sure you'll see a little cover (actually a few of them) but one in particular you'll see a small cover and either a picture of RAM or the words blatently printed on there. It should just be a panel with a single screw maybe 2 at the most holding the panel on covering the RAM. The RAM you have looks like this:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=83399-1

I'm not saying that particular RAM is what you need, I was just giving you an image. Sounds like you have a 128mb stick and a 64mb stick and that's probably all you can fit in your laptop meaning you probably only have 2 available RAM slots. If that's the case then you'd need to buy a 1gb KIT (KIT is the keyword there) because it is 2 sticks of 512mb memory.

A fresh install or like the guy up above said, a defrag and clean up can help. Also make sure you don't have a lot of spyware and crap on your computer using Ad-Aware, Spybot, www.pc-cillin.com or

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/promotions/pestscan/pestscan_01165.jsp

For a really indepth pest scan, but it won't remove it for you. You have to manually find what it points out and remove it. Hope this helped.

*claps*.. nice post nubius

*bows*...well someone had to give him correct information before he burnt out his laptop and started cursing these forums for foul info :D

ha ha cheers Nubius.

You helped alot, thanks, i woulda probably gone blowing the laptop up if it werent for u guys!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom