Operation SuperPi - Phase-Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaymate

Golden Master
For this project I'll be temporarily hooking up my Phase-Change to my Gaming PC. http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/slaymate-s-saga-200179/
I'll take some new pictures this weekend as I've already changed a few things. Here are my present specifications.
i7 920 D stepping
EVGA X58 SLI E758-A1
OCZ Blade Series 3x2GB DDR3 2000 PC3 16000
2 x EVGA GTX 280 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME GTX 280 Coolers
Cooler Master 1250 watt Real Power Pro
assy6.jpg

And my best SuperPi time using Air Cooling.
evgapi8781.jpg

In these 1st two pictures we see my old Phase-Change running at a chilly -55dC +/- a little.
phase1.jpg

phase2.jpg

Condensation is the danger with a setup like this so I've got a supply of Neoprene to make make some gaskets.
insulation1.jpg

And I have some Conformal Coating to paint the Mobo with and I have some Dielectric Grease for the CPU Socket.
coating.jpg

And I've created a template of the EVGA X58 Socket Area to help me make my Gaskets.
templatel.jpg

cutout.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on a 2-5/8" Hole Saw to arrive so I can make a new Retention Plate for the Cooling Head. As you can see in this picture the existing plate just isn't quite big enough to drill some new holes in it to match the mobo holes.
retention1.jpg

Here's the template I made for the new Retention Plate.
retention2.jpg

So that's were I'm at so far with this project. The Hole Saw should be here in the next day or 2 so I'm hoping to make a few SuperPi runs by the weekend.

Cool, only thing I don't understand is that paste you are going to put on the motherboard. If you put that on there, how are you going to get it off?

It not actually a paste, it's a silicon-base coating and it will be permanent. It's usually used in Marine Applications but it won't hurt anything so long as I don't get any of it on heat sensitive chips/components.

mmm, this should be interesting. how much farther you think you can push your chip?

btw, thats a wallpaper you got there. lol

Nice Slay....what is that PhaseChange tun'd for? How many watts? Do you know?

Your going to coat the whole MB? Why not just use rubber eraser method...that way if anything happens to the MB....you can rma it easily.
In case your worried about the method...i have been using it for almost a month or more now....with computer running 10-20hr at a time. With no condensation.

I finally got the 222bclk wall out of the way (required a hard mod on the gigabyte x58 extreme)...booted with 232 last night...before calling it a night and bed.

It'll be awesome to see what you get Slay...

Nice Slay....what is that PhaseChange tun'd for? How many watts? Do you know?

Your going to coat the whole MB? Why not just use rubber eraser method...that way if anything happens to the MB....you can rma it easily.
In case your worried about the method...i have been using it for almost a month or more now....with computer running 10-20hr at a time. With no condensation.

I finally got the 222bclk wall out of the way (required a hard mod on the gigabyte x58 extreme)...booted with 232 last night...before calling it a night and bed.

It'll be awesome to see what you get Slay...

I've had it a long time, it was hand-built by a guy known as Zennzzo. I'm really not sure how cold it will keep an i7, but we will find out.

No, I won't be coating the whole mobo, just around the socket front and back. I'm not really concerned about the warranty or an RMA. I'm use to Voiding My Warranty, if I break it I'll buy something newer and faster.

How about posting a link to the hard mod you used. It might help someone else later down the road :D

Well if you don't mind me linking to it BCLK 235 / PCIe 130 with GIGABYTE MB - Page 6 - XtremeSystems Forums

I don't want to point right to it as the guys in the thread...never did....but it is in that thread the mod and the bios needed. Pay special note (to anyone that should read this) the download link for the bios...also will get you to a picture of the mod. You just have to know how to look ;)

Hurry up and get that phase change a freezing Slay!

If you don't wanna waste time fabricating the neoprene to sit around the parts, plasticine based modeling clay will do the trick. That's what I did for my DICE setup and it worked like a dream. Only problem is it's a ***** to get off when you aren't gonna be using the phase change setup.

Other than that minor suggestion, looks like you've got all your bases covered and you know what you're doing! Look forward to some numbers for sure.

Also I think you should easily be able to take it over 5ghz. 6 would be relatively attainable depending on your ram and how far that can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom