open pc case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can but why would you want to? it would gather more dust and if your taking them off to cool your pc down. i doubt you`d see much difference as the airflow of the case is to push hot air through then up and out.

Also note that if you're doing it to improve airflow, you'll just be reducing it.

well it depends on airflow. i had the case open with the fan blowing Past the opening along the side the case, so that any hot air going out gets taken away from the computer completely. dropped my temps by 10C

Or you could cut a hole and insert a 400mm fan, thats the same thing. Taking panels off a case reduces its airflow, you can change that by putting a very large fan near it but whats the fun in that?

You CAN, but in general the cases are built to be closed. I had the side off my case last night and the temps on my cpu and video card came down about 5-10 degrees when i put the side of the case back on. In general if you have a good intake and exhaust fan keeping the case closed is going to direct the airflow over the components and out correctly, whereas if you have the side off there is no real air flow and you will get a lot of standing air.

my video card (8800 GTS 320MB) doesn't like having the side panel on. When I'm playing a demanding game, sometimes the temps get pretty high and it occasionally crashes

But if I have the side panel off, I have no problems whatsoever

Heh, oddly enough the temps went down on my 8800 when i put the side panel back on. **** thing is running at 65 degrees idle with the side panel on and about 70 with it off :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom