Oops! I think i fried something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

311Homebrew

Solid State Member
i changed my video card to one of those all-in-wonder cards and it was working fine... except for i forgot to hook up the cd-in and aux-out on the card so the sound wasn't working.. so i opened up the case and hooked up the sound the way i thought it went and when i booted it back up i get this one long beep from the pc speaker and everything cuts off but the pc on light on the front of the case stays on like the mobo light, what did i do wrong.. does anyone think i fried something.. still beeps and does the same after i put it back together the way i had it.. maybe i need to reset cmos

Yeah guys, he said he has the ATI All-in-Wonder Pro I believe. If you look that up it's basically a graphics card, tv tuner, FM Radio, all in one. It just apparantly has a slower directX compliant core is what I read about it. Do you have another graphics card to try? Put another card in the mobo and that'll tell you for sure if it's the card or motherboard

yeah... i poped in another video card, an ati radeon 9500.. and it does the same thing... previously something else i noticed is that the onboard sound on the mobo is really scrachy and sounds like crap.. so when i was messin with the sound plugs that might have thrown the board over the edge... so you do think it's the mobo right?

Well.....not necessarily. But you can attempt to figure it out, by taking the mobo out of the case and putting it on something anti-static (if you wind up REALLY frying something from not putting it on something good enough to not conduct electricity then well...I take no blame for it :D) But anywho, place the motherboard on something that can't possibly conduct electricity. If you have your motherboard box that would do, just put the anti static bag over the box then set on the mobo. Plug in JUST the keyboard, RAM, and video card and see if you atleast get a beep and could possibly get into the BIOS. If it does then you could be grounding the mobo in the case or a HD is bad, or possibly you just had a loose connection somewhere.

you took your old sound card out right?

just trying to make sure some stuipid thinging isn't getting you like it gets me.

Nubius said:
............. (if you wind up REALLY frying something from not putting it on something good enough to not conduct electricity then well...I take no blame for it :D) But anywho, place the motherboard on something that can't possibly conduct electricity. If you have your motherboard box that would do, just put the anti static bag over the box then set on the mobo...........

A peice of wood 6 feet long can hold enough static to fry every computer component in the world.

The static bag CAN hold static but mostly conducts it into the air. Placing your motherboard on something that doesn't conduct electricity is no guarantee that you will not fry it.

Do your fingers conduct electricity? Yet they cause more ESD damage than anything else.

The best thing to do is place it on a plastic table that is touching a stone/marble/tile floor. Any Accumulated static is conducted out into the floor. Stay away from carpet.

A peice of wood 6 feet long can hold enough static to fry every computer component in the world.

The static bag CAN hold static but mostly conducts it into the air. Placing your motherboard on something that doesn't conduct electricity is no guarantee that you will not fry it.

Do your fingers conduct electricity? Yet they cause more ESD damage than anything else.

The best thing to do is place it on a plastic table that is touching a stone/marble/tile floor. Any Accumulated static is conducted out into the floor. Stay away from carpet.

Ummm yeah I don't have a plastic table ontop of stone/marble/tile floor. My entire house is carpet...so ultimately, one of the best places for me to do it, is ontop of the mobo box with the anti-static bag over the box and the motherboard laying on top of that. No crap the static bag CAN hold static, but for the most part it's going to be a lot safer than just putting it on 'whatever' especially since he's just trying to troubleshoot it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom