Only 3% OC'ed and already I cant boot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
The equipment I have is:

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400
RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2 (dual channel configuration)
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II
HD: 250 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB.
OD: 52X DVD±RW
Monitor: Hanns-G 19" DVI LCD widescreen

I started overclocking the CPU in the BIOS tonight. I got to only 2.232 GHz. and I couldnÂ’t boot. However I know that if I leave the computer unplugged for a few seconds the mobo woill disable the overclocking and let me reboot. So I did that and entered the BIOS as soon as booted up and reenabled the overclocking and Windows started fine overclocked at 2.232 GHz. Then after I ran all my benchmarking tests and such I restarted again to overclock more. This time I choose 2.264 Ghz. I saved it in the BIOS and once again I could not boot. So I unplugged the computer again to revert to OEM settings and rebooted into the BIOS. And once again I reenabled the overclocking but this time I increased the vcore from 1.325 volts (stock voltage) to 1.33125 volts (one click up) and saved and exit. The computer restarted and once again I could not boot. So I unplugged the computer again and reverted to OEM settings and I just left the overclock off and that is where I am now.

So whatÂ’s going on? I talked to people with this same processor that said they did not even have to touch the vcore until 2.8GHz. I am but barely 5% OCÂ’ed.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. This is how I went about things:

I started out at 2.175 Ghz. I ran PC Wizard 2006 and benchmarked the CPU. I wrote down the Whetstone (FPU) Wheitstone (SSE2) and Dhrystone results. I then keept the program open to monitor CPU temp, voltage and loading.

Then I ran two instances of Prime 95 (one for each CPU) and ran the torture test on each and choose the in-place large FFTÂ’s for max heat consumption. I ran the program for about 4 minuets with both CPUÂ’s loaded 100% and recorded the average CPU temperature.

Then I close Prime 95 and open CPU Stability Test 6.0 and test the computer for stability for about 4 minuets.

It was stable every time.

As far as the steps I took in overclocking and the temperature recorded I got:

1: 2.175 Ghz., 47-48 C
2: 2.207 Ghz., 48-50 C
3: 2.232 GHz., 49-50 C
4: 2.264 GHz., 50-51 C

So whats wrong?

Yes I had a simalar experience with a friends P4 3.0Ghz. I over clocked it to 3.09 Ghz and the HDD didnt boot. i had no idea and still dont

try resetting your cmos, updating your bios, and starting over... better luck next time?

yeah get the newest BIOS. it's F7 BTW.

I didn't have any problems with OCing...it could be that your ram isn't working that well. i remember wanting to go w/ OCZ but heard a lot of complaining on picky mobo's that didn't like the OCZ ram.

My suggestion is to hit Ctrl + F1 (gives "advanced OC options") in BIOS and then set up a 1:1 memory divider. You might be setting your ram too high because it automatically clocks the ram at 2:3.

Since default FBS of the E6400 is 533mhz you could set it at 400mhz with a 400mhz ram frequency (1:1 ratio) and get a 3.2Ghz overclock...that's what I did. hopefully that works for you but you'll have to set the vcore at around 1.4ish to get it stable.

3% overclock? do you mean you are using an auto overclock utility or something that came with the bios?

if so then stop right there! you need to manually adjust settings yourself, fsb speeds memory speeds etc. go gradually and test thoroughly . using a utility like that wont get you a good overclock like doing it all manually will and you learn much more as well. :)

another thing i wonder about are the temperatures...i think conroes run cooler than that, or so i was under the assumption.
i had my cpu to 2.8 (600 mhz oc, 25%+) and running p95 on both i was like in the 55 range b4 installing a zalman.
something seems fishy...and i am inclined to agree with nightmare and ur cpu could have trouble.
also, you say you leave the computer unplugged for a few minutes and it lets you reboot.
on my mobo (and i know nothing of yours, sorry), i have to take a little jumper and clear the cmos manually when i have settings that are too high for the system to load windows...and if i dont do that, all sorts of wierd and mysterious stuff will happen, i.e. not letting me boot or be stable at settings which i KNOW are stable.

nagasama said:
another thing i wonder about are the temperatures...i think conroes run cooler than that, or so i was under the assumption.
i had my cpu to 2.8 (600 mhz oc, 25%+) and running p95 on both i was like in the 55 range b4 installing a zalman.
something seems fishy...and i am inclined to agree with nightmare and ur cpu could have trouble.
also, you say you leave the computer unplugged for a few minutes and it lets you reboot.
on my mobo (and i know nothing of yours, sorry), i have to take a little jumper and clear the cmos manually when i have settings that are too high for the system to load windows...and if i dont do that, all sorts of wierd and mysterious stuff will happen, i.e. not letting me boot or be stable at settings which i KNOW are stable.

yea...when windows didn't load a couple times for me when i o/ced i just went into my bios and used cmos reloaded and loaded my old settings and it worked fine. thank god for it. haha.

anyways, i was always an intel fanboy up until a few years ago. i went through 3 p4's in 2 months. each one had something go wrong with it. ever since then i switched over to amd and have never had a problem.

yah, no doubt thank sweet jeez for the cmos jumper...
the first time i went to like 2.9 with no voltage increase (because i was stupid) my computer was like, "uh-uh". no response w/ power switch or anything. unplug, switch jumper pins, switch back, plug in, turn on, thank you god.
the people that have the conroes seem to love them, though. i have heard about the p4 trouble, but i tthink they got that stuff worked out, and everyone (almost) that have the new c2d likes them a lot.
but i love my slow ol' 4200 just as much. heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom