Old HDDs connected via IDE on external PSU.. safe? lol (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
In preparation for my new HDDs arriving on Monday, I've been backing up EVERYTHING on my main SATA drive, my old 30GB Compaq drives from years ago, and everything else I'll need. Gigs upon gigs of music and videos and .iso backups and other downlaods are being burnt to DVDs. The old 30GB drives (2 of 'em) are connected via IDE, but are running out of the case and powered by a PSU from an old computer that I just shorted out to make "On", to power the drives.

Question is, it's safe, right? No need for grounding or anything, and it won't harm the compy, right? I'm not worried about the drives, selling them to a friend for 10 bucks lol. It's going to be a long night of backing up 280GB worth of data on DVDs lol.... Good thing I have this 18x DVD Burnder :D 4-5 minutes per disc :p

Drives1.JPG

Drives2.JPG

Shorted ATX Connector ^

On a side note, when I get my new drive on monday, it'll be set up in RAID0 with my current drive, both drives being reformatted. However, I don't have a floppy drive and was wondering if there was another way I could have RAID drivers when installing XP (after installing Vista (dual booting them))? I will need them so it doesn't screw with my RAID array.. USB would be great, but can I put them on a DVD or regular CD?

Any other comment or suggestions on dual booting XP and Vista in a RAID 0 array? Never had RAID before...

Thanks for the help!

In preparation for my new HDDs arriving on Monday, I've been backing up EVERYTHING on my main SATA drive, my old 30GB Compaq drives from years ago, and everything else I'll need. Gigs upon gigs of music and videos and .iso backups and other downlaods are being burnt to DVDs. The old 30GB drives (2 of 'em) are connected via IDE, but are running out of the case and powered by a PSU from an old computer that I just shorted out to make "On", to power the drives.

Question is, it's safe, right?
yeah, it's safe. The biggest worry might be static electricity.

It's going to be a long night of backing up 280GB worth of data on DVDs lol....
I could make at least 3 copies of all that data with the space I have free.
Or 8 copies if I deleted everything I have.

>2.4 terabytes FTW!

yeah, it's safe. The biggest worry might be static electricity.

I could make at least 3 copies of all that data with the space I have free.
Or 8 copies if I deleted everything I have.

>2.4 terabytes FTW!

When I still had my server I could of made 20 copies of that data :D

6.75tb FTW

but sadly I sold it to a friend to let the tradition of felsted's media server live on providing all your media needs since 2006

When I still had my server I could of made 20 copies of that data :D

6.75tb FTW

but sadly I sold it to a friend to let the tradition of felsted's media server live on providing all your media needs since 2006
Did you have to use any add-in cards to get the extra ports for those drives?

My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, and I'm using all of them.
1 x 74GB Raptor, 1 x 320GB Seagate, 3 x 750GB Seagate
though the 750GB drives turn out to be 698, and the 320GB drive turns out to be 298

yeah I used a raid card to get the extra ports. Yes they do turn out to different values but was just generalising. You also lose your smallest single drive capacity(750gb) when you use raid5 for backup of data

Did you have to use any add-in cards to get the extra ports for those drives?

My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, and I'm using all of them.
1 x 74GB Raptor, 1 x 320GB Seagate, 3 x 750GB Seagate
though the 750GB drives turn out to be 698, and the 320GB drive turns out to be 298

Wait... 1+1+3=6 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom