Okay.... Building Comp. CMERE!! :) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to JDGreen92086
Default Help Plz!!!

Okay, im getting ready to build my comp. I've bought myself an anti-static wristband from radio shack, and im wondering... would it be okay to clip the clip on the case?
Also, all the rooms in my house are on carpet, or lanolium(spelling)... so...?? I have my socks & shoes off... Should i take off my shirt maybe? Shirts build static electricity too right?

I'll probably have questions while building, so I'll post every now and then if im not totally sure about something.

EDIT: I need some help someone. Plz msg me on AIM or MSN if your willing to help. AIM: Deformedfirefly MSN: Kingcraft57@hotmail.com

Old 07-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Stand on the bag the motherboard comes with. Keeping your shirt on is ok. Just keep the band on. Personally, I think the anti-static band is a waste of money, especially if you just remember to ground yourself every few minutes.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

As long as you don't rub your self on the carpet your fine. Even if you do shock it, it will probally still work. I just take my shoes of (where most static electricity comes from) - NEVER wear a sweater.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

k
Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Okay, Umm.... I'm running in to big problems...... Anyone have AIM?? I need help badly.

EDIT: I need some help someone. Plz msg me on AIM or MSN if your willing to help. AIM: Deformedfirefly MSN: Kingcraft57@hotmail.com
Old 07-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Quote:
Originally posted by turtile
Even if you do shock it, it will probally still work. I just take my shoes of (where most static electricity comes from)
Dont count on it still working, it more than likeyl wont. the amount of charge you need to destroy a part is so small you cannot feel it when you do destroy the part. And most of your static does not come from your shoes, it comes from your body. Rubbing your arms together, just moving generates it. NOw, if you have the static strap on, you have NOTHING to worry about. Yes it is more than alright to clip it to the case, as that is the preferred place to put it. If you keep that connected, you will never have an eccess of charge (static) and you wont fry anything. Just make sure the clip is nicely secured, and you will have nothign to worry about. And you do not need to remove things, except, like turtile said, a sweater. Never wear a sweater, or something of like substance, as way too much charge build up in them. It is also advisable (by CompTIA actually) to remove any metallic objects you are wearing (watches, chains, etc...) Other than that, you are golden.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Dude, PM!!! They exist, and they work.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

My anti-static thing was cheap as hell and it kind of broke.... So, I cut the wire and removed the insulation around it, and split the wire in two sections. I put one through a hole in the clip and another around the other side, and then tied them together. Should it still be okay if I use it?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Ya that should work. I personally have never used an anti static band, nor do I own one, and I built my PC just fine without taking any precautions. Well I did try and keep some part of my body touching a metal part inside the case, but other than that.. nothing. I have been working inside computers for a long time and I have never once used or owned a wrist band. I have never fryed anything. All you need to do is touch a metal part of the case every so often and you should be fine.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

There is allways a possible chance of shorting the part out even with the strap because the parts your putting into the case isn't connected to the strap, but people go overboard when it comes to static. Hell i wear socks on carpet when working on my machine.....

Closed Thread