Ok need help on router PC, tools and minimising power usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyotaka

In Runtime
ok right now I have a celeron 633 with dual NICS running off a 250 watt PWS and no more than a DVD drive connected to it.

I'm looking to minimise it's power usage.. I plan to switch to a floppy based firewall/router on it..
'
How much power does a DVD-rom pull when IDLE?

I would like to move the computer into a smaller more compact box(Preferably Plastic) what tools will i need to drill/cut and to mount the PCI cards?

Should i also get a mini-ITX style power supply adapter? to conserve space, a 200 watt one could probably handle a floppy and a celeron 633 with two nics correct?

I'm thinking of something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/A5-CRAFT-STORAG...279555088QQcategoryZ71229QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and spraypainting it black, and mounting a few 40mm fans for airflow as well as air duct above proc

I'd recommend you just have a single hard drive in there for storage. a 40GB Seagate Baracuda or something, they're very reliable
a floppy drive will use less power, but ****** they're slow. and very unreliable compared to a hard drive. a CD/DVD drive is also not as reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom