OK I screwed up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukem

Where am I again?
OK, OK... I know what your all going to say and trust me... My wife has heard me call MYSELF everything under the sun.

I have been messing with my computer. A stock HP a522n. While I am waiting on all the parts I need to build my own confuser I got a hold of the memory first. So in my twisted logic though"lets' see what it will do in this one..." So I put PC3200 into a PC2700 motherboard and now I can't get the mobo to boot. Oh, the fans turn on but I can't get the mobo to do S#!T!! To make matters worse I can't find the reset... :) Someone please help when you quit laughing! :)

Nukem

BTW it's a microstar MS-6577 Ver 4.1 mobo

Hold down the power button for up to 15 seconds and it will turn off.

Your PC SHOULD work with pc3200 ram (but it would run it at pc2700 speeds)

Do you get a POST beep or beeps? If so look up the code based on the BIOS running on your mobo (Award is a popular Bios)

I get nothing... not one beep, bloop, not even a grunt! it's like the start up process isn't there... but this happened the first time after I put the 3200 in. So I put the 2700 back and still nothing... I've been looking around on line but nothing even comes close to my problem...

OK... did all that and then noticed this... Looks like one of the ejector pins on the first DDR port is broken. So I took out the broken piece, it's only the plastic support that guides it into the slot on the very end. but that is the only thing I see wrong. everything else is in place and secure. Still nothing... it's like the mobo ain't even there... The fans kick on normally and thats it.

Have you tried moving the ram to a different slow and/or tried using different ram (do you have an older 2700 chip to test?)

I've tried using just one stick in the non broke slot, nothing. Tried using one of the new sticks in the same slot, nothing... Tried the reverse... nothing... My wife's confuser takes PC33 RAM so I don't want to use that... it's an older confuser, hence why I wanted this to work. I'm giving her mine. But it's like the hard drive isn't there... The next thing I'm going to try is swap out the HD with this one I'm on now and see then... Who knows at this point.

from the looks and sounds of what the experts here are saying. I crushed a lead connected to DDR1 and now it won't boot at all. SO I ordered another Mobo to handle the same basic specs but I fount one to handle DDr400 :) Thanks for the help and this was DEFINATELY a learning experience. don't FORCE s#!T!!!!!

I've heard a lot worse stories, and technically it should have worked no problem so I wouldn't worry about looking stupid because as I've said, I've heard of people doing ridiculously worse.

Anywho, your motherboard should have a battery in it. A silver round watch battery type. Near that should be a jumper that has 3 pins and by default the jumper will be on pins 1-2. This is the CMOS jumper. To reset the BIOS you'd need to power off the system completely, meaning turning off the PSU too. Move the pins to 2-3 for 5 mins generally does it, but I move it to pins 2-3, turn on the PSU for 2 seconds, turn it off, move the pins back to 1-2 and power on the comp.

If you can't find that jumper, remove that battery for like 5-10mins and that should reset the CMOS

EDIT: If you bought a normal motherboard, I doubt it will fit into an HP case. Most prebuilt computers use their own form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom