OK HDD's are getting very hot now... - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 01:52 AM   #41 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via AIM to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin-A.I.

one of the things i did see is that theyare 2 smaller drives , im running a couple of 200+ giggers and 1 dvd writer and a cd rw ... see there isnt enought info to really get a hold on what the problem might be for sure. but i think a new psu may be the fix???

Old 11-26-2004, 02:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

hmm...yes it would help to know what PSU he is on exactly. I know Praetor is running 4*160GB drives, and im pretty sure he isn't using anything bigger than a 500watter. Also has 3500+ OC'd to 2.65GHz...

There's just too many things that could be causing heat, could be as simple as he needs more airflow in case. he said himself the case is 2mm steel and it heats up fast. how hot i dunno...but i imagine with 2 processors, 2 HDD's, and all the rest of his hardware it gets pretty toasty.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via AIM to Smokin-A.I. Send a message via Yahoo to Smokin-A.I.

if the info is better , than we can be sure to help, otherwise we are just going in circles, buti hope that this info may help others out there that cnat understand why they maybe getting hot under the rails (so to speak). A small psu coupled with a lot of hardware running is going to creat heat! fans can cool it off but it doesnt fix the real problem.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #44 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Single Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer, running on SATA150. get ~74GB/s bandwidth with it, was getting like 30GB/s when i had it on ATA133 lmao. So glad i decided to try SATA, made a big difference performance wise.
Yeah but as we saw, it's not the sustained read rate, just the burst read rate, so we really aren't gaining much in performance with this Serillel since it takes more time in post to register the 'sata drive', but it is a nice cut down on wires
Old 11-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #45 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
Yeah but as we saw, it's not the sustained read rate, just the burst read rate, so we really aren't gaining much in performance with this Serillel since it takes more time in post to register the 'sata drive', but it is a nice cut down on wires
yah the actual "average" read or whatever the program calls is says 50.5GB/s, still better than my first 30GB/s though. What's the point of the burst speed test?

My computer actually boots faster in post though, because using ATA133 sometimes it hung for 10+secs trying to read my drive (it was sharing a channel with my CD-Drive. I'm not sure what caused this as sometimes it went right through POST.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nvidia fan boy

i have no such problems. lol
Old 12-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
True Techie

ok you guys lost me on this one???
SATA...Raid...etc..hmmm lets see heat was a factor here some where right?
hey just pullin your chains ok?
Old 12-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
yah the actual "average" read or whatever the program calls is says 50.5GB/s, still better than my first 30GB/s though. What's the point of the burst speed test?
I have no idea what the burst speed is supposed to mean. The Average read stayed the same for me on my harddrive, but I've already come to the conclusion it's not ATA133 since it's only doing like 23mb/sec compared to my 80gb storage drive which did like 65mb/sec or so, so I really need to get a new HD and attach the SATA to that. Although unlike you, it takes longer now for post since it has to load up the 'SATA drive' because in post it'd load from my HD like that! ::snaps in the air!::

Oh well, I need to get a new HD anyway as this 20gb has about had it.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

If you are still looking for a hard drive cooler, look at something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...888-105&depa=0

I have one of these on each of my drives, its keeps them cool and they are quiet. I have the molex connector on a differenct string from the psu.

But it works nice and they are cheap.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 12-06-2004, 01:46 AM   #50 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by AND_YOU_ARE
If you are still looking for a hard drive cooler, look at something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...888-105&depa=0

I have one of these on each of my drives, its keeps them cool and they are quiet. I have the molex connector on a differenct string from the psu.

But it works nice and they are cheap.

nice i think ill have to get 2 of those !