OK HDD's are getting very hot now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use slow ass hard drives like you people do. So they tend to throw off heat. I would be surprised if your hard drive had half the throughput my drives do.

If you open your eyes you will see the back of the cool drive as 2 fans. I can't help it you don't know how to search correctly.

Did I ever say anything about my RAM? No I didn't. So I have no idea why your getting off topic. Generally speaking, RAM doesn't get that hot. It gets luke warm, not hot.

If you don't think a giant heatsink on the hdd is good enough, then how about we remove the heatsinks from everything else in your case, and see how you fair?

ChaosBlizzard said:
I don't use slow ass hard drives like you people do. So they tend to throw off heat. I would be surprised if your hard drive had half the throughput my drives do.

If you open your eyes you will see the back of the cool drive as 2 fans. I can't help it you don't know how to search correctly.

Did I ever say anything about my RAM? No I didn't. So I have no idea why your getting off topic. Generally speaking, RAM doesn't get that hot. It gets luke warm, not hot.

If you don't think a giant heatsink on the hdd is good enough, then how about we remove the heatsinks from everything else in your case, and see how you fair?

i bet my 20GB 45KRPM 2MB buffer drive gets hotter than both your drives combined. the newer and faster the drive, the better the cooling technology and materials used in them. So jsut cuz you run them faster does not mean they get hotter.

I do not argue they have 2 fans...most HDD coolers have at LEAST 2 fans unless they are cheapy. and the ones you are looking at aren't that cheap. hence why i suggest getting an 80mm fan instead. Having it open to the case circulation will prove better than enclosing it where hot air will build up MUCH faster than 2 small fans can get it out.

RAM running at 3.4v will get blistering hot...hot enough to catch fire. if you didn't know that then, now you do. an OCZ DDR Booster was mad for voltages from 3.0v to 3.6v depending on hwhat RAM and mobo used. 3.6v needs SERIOUS cooling...highest i've ever seen RAM survive though is 3.4V.

the HDD cooler you suggested is indeed better than nothing and i imagine will lower your temps. all i am saying is i think 1 or 2 80mm fans will do an even better job, and you will be saving moeny. At any rate at least get SOMETHING...if they are inddeed as hot as you say they are then they need cooling. My laptop HDD (which i referred to above) died because it got too hot. It was enclosed and had no air circulation, the insides of my laptop were black when i took it out (i assume it was smoking) and i had to clean it up pretty good. Same with wifi card in laptop...overheated and turned black on the corners....i have sense gotten my laptop fans to run 24/7 and things are much cooler.

My RAM runs @ 3.3V, it's LUKE warm.. I have pushed it up to OC, and it doesn't get much hotter.. If you never done that, now you know.

Yes, the faster the drive, the hotter it is. You can't throw an outdated machine into the equation. You are messing up the control. Using the scientific method, you must have a control and a variable. The control would be it's using the same technology. The variable would be the speed.

If your saying a 7200 drive is "fast" then where the hell have you been for the last few years...7,200 is like the 'norm' nowadays. 10K or 15K is fast.

slvrstang said:
If your saying a 7200 drive is "fast" then where the hell have you been for the last few years...7,200 is like the 'norm' nowadays. 10K or 15K is fast.

hes not talking about the RPM's, hes talking about his bus speed (150mhz i believe he said). but if hes just going to gloat about his drives and call everyone elses hardware "slow ass" i dont think he deserves any help at all.. let his drives burn for all i care.

Corsair PC3200 2*256MB XMS 2-2-2-5 running at 245MHZ @ 3.2v gets hot enough to leave steam on the sticks where your fingers were (if your hands are moist). So yes...they do get hot even with heatspreaders. I dunno what kind of slower RAM he has, but maybe PC150 takes heat. I know my PC100 runs on 3.3v and doesnt get warm, but thats OLD RAM which needs that voltage to boot. newer RAM will fry at those volts as it is much faster and can run on less power.

Uhg, this is turning into a "I'm right you're wrong".. I tried to explain the whole cooling thing, but I guess I'm wrong 4W, give up, this thread is gonna keep going and it's quite idiotic... Let's leave this goon to post to himself =p

Demalii said:
Uhg, this is turning into a "I'm right you're wrong".. I tried to explain the whole cooling thing, but I guess I'm wrong 4W, give up, this thread is gonna keep going and it's quite idiotic... Let's leave this goon to post to himself =p

lol i do that sometimes, triple posts at iT. But i agree, no use arguing.

You both say this thread is useless, and you say not to post anymore... Yet you apparently can't yield to your own advice.

Aright Chaos, we've gone through this before. Comments like these
I don't use slow ass hard drives like you people do.

I can't help it you don't know how to search correctly.
are just insulting to people and are begging to have people simply ignore your thread rather than answer, so stop making fun of people and/or their hardware.

Back on topic and to the original question

My question, do those hdd coolers work good?

I would say in your case they probably would work quite well if you are running faster bus speeds and the result is your HD's becoming more than just 'quite' hot...

Although generally I would agree that most people add it just so they can say it's something else they got, it seems like you'd genuinely benefit from it. I don't know about a $40 hd cooler, if that's really needed that is.....but then again also I've never known anyone who REALLY needs it like you do in your situation. I would say get a simpler one for perhaps around $20 unless you really want the more expensive one and have read real good reviews on a lot of places, but anything with atleast 2000-2500RPM spinning 60mm minimum sized fans it seems like it should really get you the results you desire as my dads laptop cooler uses fans around those specs and it works really well consider those fans just suck air away from the bottom of the laptop opposed to these HDD Coolers blow air straight onto the drive I assume.

Hope that helps somewhat, although really like I said I've never known anyone who actually needs it, but it seems like you do so you'd see the most benefits from using one

Yeah Chaos you should probably chill out a bit. saying things like "Did I ever say anything about my RAM? No I didn't. So I have no idea why your getting off topic." just encourages flaming.

The HDD coolers do work. I have one from Speeze and Thermaltake. the Fan helps, but I think it's the aluminum heatsink that does most of the work. Chaos in your case you either have poor airflow inside the case or your room temperature is much above normal. If it's am airflow problem remove the side door so the hot air doesn't get trapped and heat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom