Oh No What Did I Do?! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

why aren't mobos built with a button for resetting CMOS that can be placed on the front side of the case with the power button? there can be a little door there so you don't accadentally do it... but wouldn't that be cool? someday if im smart enough i'll invent it and be rich.

[CPU: e6600 @ 3300 MHz] // [MB: ASUS P5N-E SLi] // [RAM: Patriot 'eased latency' PC2-6400 @ DDR800 5-4-4-12-2T] // [GPU: 8800GTX @ 650/1000/1600 (volt modded)] // [HDD: 2x Cavier 500GiB stripe] // [Chassis: Thermaltake Armor VA8000 (black)] // [PSU: Aspire(Apevia) 680w] // [OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Cooling: water cooled GPU and CPU]
^ (9/7/2010): Ha, I remember when that was the stuff. My water cooling has since leaked and fried my mobo. So now I'm rocking an MSI laptop with an i5 430m :)
Old 08-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Deathawk Send a message via Yahoo to Deathawk

It's not like you're going to be using it every day... hopefully :|

Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Quote:
Originally posted by lazer_viking
why aren't mobos built with a button for resetting CMOS that can be placed on the front side of the case with the power button? there can be a little door there so you don't accadentally do it... but wouldn't that be cool? someday if im smart enough i'll invent it and be rich.
It's been done. Not by mobo companies, but my modders. It's a VERY simple mod too.

All you have to do is find a plug that has three 'holes'. If you salvage old computers like I do, you'll have trillians of these wires.

Just stick the three holes over the three pins for the CMOS. Rig up a SPST switch, and there ya have it. When you need to reset CMOS, flip the switch for about 10 seconds and then flip it back...not rocket science.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

lol why are people so harch about newcomers asking questions about ocing... junk like "IF YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEN YOU SHOULDNT BE... " just starts a flame war ( with the right people). I know i get mad when people do that junk to me... its his stuff and his mistake if he puts 20v through it lol. I could understand if they said well you really should read " Insert link here", but thats just me.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

here's another question... problems solved.. so why is there still talking... and yes i know i'm only contributing...

and msi has a motherboard where you just click a button.. though its on the motherboard itself.. still very helpful
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

CMOS reloaded freaking rules.

DFI ftw.

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Techie

DFI all the way Lanparty

that had onthing to do with it but.. yes its an awsome feature
Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by harley3344
lol why are people so harch about newcomers asking questions about ocing... junk like "IF YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEN YOU SHOULDNT BE... " just starts a flame war ( with the right people). I know i get mad when people do that junk to me... its his stuff and his mistake if he puts 20v through it lol. I could understand if they said well you really should read " Insert link here", but thats just me.
Because before you overclock, you should know pretty dam near as much as there is to know before you start. You should know what happens if you do this, why it does that, how to fix that problem, yadda yadda. If you don't know that, well, then you shouldn't be messing with it in the first place.

Though I do realize that people learn by making mistakes. But when it comes to OC'ing, you should really just read A LOT first. Keep reading and reading, until you are very familiar with it.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by harley3344
Because before you overclock, you should know pretty dam near as much as there is to know before you start. You should know what happens if you do this, why it does that, how to fix that problem, yadda yadda. If you don't know that, well, then you shouldn't be messing with it in the first place.

Though I do realize that people learn by making mistakes. But when it comes to OC'ing, you should really just read A LOT first. Keep reading and reading, until you are very familiar with it.

Closed Thread