*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Tech Forums Official SuperPi 1M Top List

Wow lets stop playing 1M and start going for 2.7 Trillion.

PARIS (AFP) – A French software engineer said on Friday he was claiming a world record for calculating Pi, the constant that has fascinated mathematicians for millennia.

Fabrice Bellard told AFP he used an inexpensive desktop computer -- and not a supercomputer used in past records -- to calculate Pi to nearly 2.7 trillion decimal places.

Pi buster: French software whiz claims record - Yahoo! News

The time to beat is 29 hours. I'll wait for your time before I start :D

Nope. The record is a bit longer than 29 hours. Try 131 days. :omg: Bet you can shave a few days off of that time. :D

Bellard took 131 days, comprising 103 for the computation in binary digits, 13 days for verification, 12 days to convert the binary digits to a base of 10 and three final days to check the conversion.

You would get a Nobel prize in math. Oh wait they don't have one. ;) That is another story.

At least you would be really famous.

Nope. The record is a bit longer than 29 hours. Try 131 days. :omg: Bet you can shave a few days off of that time. :D

My bad, I was looking at the old record for 2.577 billion :D

Regardless, I'm still waiting on your attempt :D

What if one day we calculate pi to enough decimal places and discover that it is a finite (albeit extremely large) sequence?

highly unlikely considering it is an irational number.

What if one day we calculate pi to enough decimal places and discover that it is a finite (albeit extremely large) sequence?

Blasphemy!!! :lol:

I think that'd turn the world upside down.. or something.. We'd have to get crackin to check all of Einstein's calculations again!! But I think we'd almost be well enough just leaving it as infinite.. Things are working fine with it the way we see it now.. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom