*The Official Tech-Forums 3DMark06/03 Rankings*

Re: The Tech Forums Official 3DMark06/03 Top List

The Radeon 3xxx series are better at 3dmark than they are at real games. Furthermore the cpu bottleneck is a virtual myth and it has been documented. Unless you are running a gtx260 with a Pentium 4 I wouldn't worry about cpu bottlenecks. Most games, save a few are gpu limited.

But even then, I would expect you to have a noticeable performance bump. You went form a very old dual core to essentially a Q6600.

The Radeon 3xxx series are better at 3dmark than they are at real games. Furthermore the cpu bottleneck is a virtual myth and it has been documented. Unless you are running a gtx260 with a Pentium 4 I wouldn't worry about cpu bottlenecks. Most games, save a few are gpu limited.

But even then, I would expect you to have a noticeable performance bump. You went form a very old dual core to essentially a Q6600.

isn't the bottleneck real because games require a decent CPU to run at respectable frame rates? also in the benchmarking sense, the benchmarks also test the CPU as well, so won't the score be lower?

the Radeon 3xxx Series Are Better At 3dmark Than They Are At Real Games. Furthermore The Cpu Bottleneck Is A Virtual Myth And It Has Been Documented. Unless You Are Running A Gtx260 With A Pentium 4 I Wouldn't Worry About Cpu Bottlenecks. Most Games, Save A Few Are Gpu Limited.

But Even Then, I Would Expect You To Have A Noticeable Performance Bump. You Went Form A Very Old Dual Core To Essentially A Q6600.

Better Than A Q6600! Ahhhh!

Most games are Video card limited. Compared to what the video card does the cpu has a pretty easy job. Except for some games like Supreme commander and other RTS's. FPS games will always be GPU limited. There was a really good article I read about it a long time ago that explained it. It was old but the concept still holds. Just think about it.

The video card has all of the 3d rendering and physics now. The cpu has control input (light) network stack (light) sound acceleration (light) etc. Most of the time your cpu can get its work done at an equivalent2-300 fps, while the video card is getting its job done at around 60fps. Since the cpu is doing its work so much faster the system is limited by the GPU.

Better Than A Q6600! Ahhhh!

Not really. Compare.
Directupload.net - Daq4vcevs.jpg
19,297 | Thirdshiftdj | Q6600@ 3915mhz | Sapphire 3870x2 | Server 08 | ORB

That GTX280 does a little bit better at 3dmark 06 than the 3870X2. And the Q6600 has a slightly lower clock speed which can account for the small difference in scores.

Most games are Video card limited. Compared to what the video card does the cpu has a pretty easy job. Except for some games like Supreme commander and other RTS's. FPS games will always be GPU limited. There was a really good article I read about it a long time ago that explained it. It was old but the concept still holds. Just think about it.

The video card has all of the 3d rendering and physics now. The cpu has control input (light) network stack (light) sound acceleration (light) etc. Most of the time your cpu can get its work done at an equivalent2-300 fps, while the video card is getting its job done at around 60fps. Since the cpu is doing its work so much faster the system is limited by the GPU.

Not really. Compare.
Directupload.net - Daq4vcevs.jpg
19,297 | Thirdshiftdj | Q6600@ 3915mhz | Sapphire 3870x2 | Server 08 | ORB

That GTX280 does a little bit better at 3dmark 06 than the 3870X2. And the Q6600 has a slightly lower clock speed which can account for the small difference in scores.

hmm interesting. I just found out that Left 4 Dead, GTA4, n perhaps most other games i have do not detect Crossfire! WTF!!??? How do i fix this exactly? Sapphire really screwed up this card big time. It doesnt support PCI-E x16 2.0 out of the box either.

whatever man, i still think the Phenom II 940 is better. I've seen benchmarks already.

EDIT:

shows both primary and secondary GPUs, but like i said Crossfire isnt being detected in Left 4 Dead.

The card doesn't need pcie 2.0. It cant saturate a 1.0 slot as is. As for multi gpu support, that is handled on a game by game basis. They have to code the games to support it. Its not sapphire's fault.

Ill be posting here once I get my system up and running =D.

so why does a guy with a core i7 and 8800gt sli get 60 fps maxed in gta4??? the 8800gt isnt that demanding. as we thought yet allows the 8800gt's to shine.

^^ It's also possible that GTA IV is just cpu intensive which would certainly explain why running a i7 improved performance.

thing is tho i have sli 8800gts's g92. and i only get 26 fps maxed out with afr2 forced and it displays my cpu only being used 70% of the way.. so yes cpu intensive but it isnt bringing my chip to its knees either so this leads me to beleive cpu bottle neck does exist. toms hard ware did an article last year about it and they deemed that it does exist.

Back
Top Bottom