Official Intel Overclocking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on the motherboard. on the evga one i have when turbo is enabled you get the 21x multi regardless. pretty sweet :)

i'd expect scores with it off to be higher, just because to achieve the same clock with it off the baseclock has to be higher

^^Well that's the thing, cause it does add 1 multi the base clock would have to be a little lower than with it off to get the same clock.

However if vantage mark or whatever other benchmark only uses 1 or two cores, Id think the turbo boost would show more improvement?

I Dunnue..

Maybe one of you could try?

Here's my i7 920 at 4GHz without Turbo running LinX. It scores a 51.4667

It scores higher because of the faster bus speed (BLCK or QPI). The bus speed also affects the QPI Link, Northbridge Frequency and the DRAM Frequency by increasing them.

4ghznoturbo.jpg

Here's my i7 920 at 4GHz with Turbo enabled. It scores a 50.8528
Turbo mode only affects the Multiplier which only changes the Core Speed. Plus because the Bus Speed is slower so are the QPI Link, Northbridge Frequency and DRAM Frequency.

4ghzturbo.jpg

When your looking strictly at performance, clock for clock, the cpu with no turbo will prevail everytime. Benchmarks like 3DMark Vantage can't be used reliably because they introduce other variables into the testing. Trust me, I'm pretty good at this :D

anyone have done overclocking core i5 with asus p7p55d-e pro or any asus mobo? is there any guide can please share it coz am a newbie to this.

I did. I have a Asus P7P55D. I think I still have some guides bookmarked, I'll sent them when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom