OCing/ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

weringo

In Runtime
Im going to build myself a new PC and I keep reading things about if you want to OC then you need to buy the expensive RAM. I probably will want to OC my processor however I don't know much about it.

If you want to OC your processor do you have to OC your memory at the same time because if this isnt the case then I will probably just go with the value select memory as I don't have much interest in OCing the memory

PZEROFGH said:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=77323

scroll down to the memory section

you can run memory dividers so valueselect ram is fine UNLESS you are goign with INTEL

Thanks for that, very good explanation. So if I get the corsair value select ram I will have to sacrifice my memory speeds to OC my processor to speeds that the ram cannot handle normally without changing the dividers

not necessarily... if you set your memory divider, then when you pump up your cpu FSB, it'll pump up the memory speed too, just not as much as the cpu. try to aim for a configuration where you'll get that highest cpu clock while getting the RAM closest to its rated speed

example:
-your cpu might be a 10x muliplier X 200mhz fsb = 2ghz and with DDR400 RAM, your memory speed is 200mhz.
-when you raise FSB speed, you raise memory speed with it. without a memory divider, you'd be limited to raising everything just no more than 10mhz because value ram doesnt overclock well.
-however, if you set a memory divider, you could set your memory down to, say, 166mhz...which would give you lots of room to raise your FSB while still keeping your RAM under 200mhz.

so you raise your fsb to 250, which puts your ram at 204. which is perfectly okay.

^^^^just an example^^^^ there are many configurations and other specifics to learn about. read any related stickies very thouroughly.

P.S. for AMD processors, FSB = HTT

read this thread i just posted the other day http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=77488&pagenumber=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom