OCing my new box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilveari

Baseband Member
OCing 6600, XMS2 DDR2 800, P5B-E

k so I built a new system, and i wanna test out some OC settings before I complete the build(waiting on the G8's to drop so i can pickup a G79xx series).

I'm running an E6600 Conroe, 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, P5B-E board, OCZ GameXstream 600w PSU, and one of those Thermaltake Armor(5 ton tank) full tower cases.

Wondering what I could do with stock cooling. Aka intel's stock healtstink/fan, the the 1x 120mm, 3x 80mm fans that came with the case.

With Asus' AI **** turned on the cpu temp is running around 40-45 under light load with the fan running \like 1500rpm. System temp is usually in the low 30's. Also that Asus AI stuff seems to run the CPU as just under 2.4 ghz under light work(266.03 x9 for 2394.37 clock right this second.)

Also, im trying to remember what these programs are I had on my old system. There was one that OCed the gfx card in windows, and one that checked out speeds and settings for the ram/cpu, i think you could change ram settings in it as well. cant remember though.

Don't overclock with a program, use your BIOS. You'll get a better and more stable OC.

As for OC'ing the graphics card, you can use Rivatuner. You can use ATI Tool, or ATI Tray Tools if you have an ATi card.

ya what graphics card do you have? and ya only overclock the CPU in the bios. I would suggest riva tuner for nvidia cards, and ATItool for ati cards.

I didn't plan on ocing the cpu in windows, thats just asking for trouble. Im using a video card that id probably older than alot of the posters on this forum lol. GF4 MX 440 PIC 64MB. stopgap while I wait on a 7950 512MB. This board has no onboard video that ive found, and the only other cards I have lieing around are ATi AGP cards.

Im just using nvhard to optimize the settings, and powerstrip to raise the clock speed on the vcard right now.

Im wondering is that ASUS AI NOS stuff is any good, Or if I should turn it off and raise the bus myself.

Also my RAM is coming up 5-5-5-18 in CPU-Z, retail rating is 5-5-5-12. Should I just raise the voltage in the BIOS? I see people raising their's to 2.1 and getting the better timings. I cant find a place to change the timings in this BIOS. And how does this RAM act when the bus is increased? am I better off just changing the voltage/timings, and them OCing the CPU a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom