OCing my AMD advice, have i hit the limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
ok ill sart by listing my hardware:

Mobo: nFORCE3-939
CPU: AMD 3800+ venice
RAM: DDR400 1GB (1stick of 1GB)
Cooling: 1x 120mm case fan and 2 standard ones, 2 on intake and one exhaust. and for the AMD its the stock fan as it was retail.

at the moment its overclocked to 2.67Ghz (1.504v) and my ram is at 223Mhz ( i havnt OCed my RAM) at these speeds under full load my cpu never breaches 41 degrees celcius. i have managed to get it to 2.8Ghz before but it played up even though the temps stayed pretty low, i gave it some more juice to and tried underclocking my ram but i dont know how much i shoudl under clock it to or how much the ram increases when the CPU is increased? id like to push as much as i can from this CPU so any advicce or have i hit the limit? it does run ok at 2.7Ghz.

ALSO
i know nothing of ram timings but id like to , what would i adjsut them to?.

I wouldn't underclock my ram if I were you. RAM is a bottle neck anyway.

The CPU increases when you increase the FSB.

I wouldn't underclock my ram if I were you. RAM is a bottle neck anyway.
not much of one with AMD K8 chips, since they have an onboard memory controller.

Unless by bottleneck, you mean that the CPU could go higher, but the RAM isn't stable when the FSB/HTT is increased.

The CPU increases when you increase the FSB.
or in AMD's case, the HTT speed.

Anyway, I'd recommend trying to set a memory divider (set your RAM speed limit to DDR333. It won't actually stay at 333 if you increase the HTT, but it will be 5/3 of the HTT speed)

i was hoping you would reply :p

ok well thats basically what i have done before but it still wont stay stable at 2.8Ghz. is there anythign else that would limit the CPU from reaching higher speeds? its not my mobo either i dont think and yes i have tried increasing the core voltage even more

i was hoping you would reply :p

ok well thats basically what i have done before but it still wont stay stable at 2.8Ghz. is there anythign else that would limit the CPU from reaching higher speeds? its not my mobo either i dont think and yes i have tried increasing the core voltage even more
what are your temps?
a few things you can do are:
  • get better cooling
  • use arctic silver 5, MX-1 or MX-2 thermal paste
  • remove the IHS (the metal thing on top, stuck on with black glue-type stuff) of the CPU (this is a permanent change)
they should lower temps, and probably allow you to increase voltage more to increase stability.

Athlon 64 chips can run at up to about 1.65V before the voltage starts getting dangerous. However, heat may prevent you from getting even that high.

However, sometimes, just sometimes, a particular chip just won't be able to overclock higher without getting really extreme and freezing it with liquid nitrogen or something.

my temps i thought were ok, when i did have it at 2.8Ghz under absoloute full load it was 51degrees celcius that was the max it ever reached i think that was with a higher voltage. right now i get 41 under load an about 32 idle

my temps i thought were ok, when i did have it at 2.8Ghz under absoloute full load it was 51degrees celcius that was the max it ever reached i think that was with a higher voltage. right now i get 41 under load an about 32 idle
51 degrees isn't too bad, however I think that if you want it to be stable, you'll need to increase the voltage more to say, 1.55V.

K8 chips (socket 939 and AM2) can run at up to about 1.65V reasonably safely, but sometimes heat is an issue (especially with X2's).

If the temperature rises close to 60ºC at 1.55V, then you should look for ways to keep it running cooler.

ok at the moment its at 2.8Ghz, and my ram was underclocked (as the onboard memory manager ups the speed according to the CPU) and is runing at 372Mhz instead of DDR400 will i notic a big diff? also i had to give the CPU more juice to boot so now the core voltage is 1.648v and its idling at about 41oC si this safe?

NM that went horribly wrong i just set it back to what it was before core voltage n all and its still idling t pretty high temps???

ok at the moment its at 2.8Ghz, and my ram was underclocked (as the onboard memory manager ups the speed according to the CPU) and is runing at 372Mhz instead of DDR400 will i notic a big diff? also i had to give the CPU more juice to boot so now the core voltage is 1.648v and its idling at about 41oC si this safe?

NM that went horribly wrong i just set it back to what it was before core voltage n all and its still idling t pretty high temps???
yeah, 41 isn't a good temperature for idle.

What temperature does it get at 1.60V? or 1.55?

Like I said, the chips can run at 1.65V, as long as heat isn't an issue.
Some chips will run hotter than others. My 6000+ actually runs a lot cooler than my 4600+ did.

If you want the extra headroom, you'll need to be able to cool it down further.

i never really have been able to stabilize (or really make the trade off from heat to performance) my cpus at that high of voltage.
my windsor 4200 would take about 1.5 and stablize at 2.8...temps okay, but with more voltage the temps would rise more than i liked....and i wasn't able to get it to run any faster, only hotter lol.
my 3600 brisbane will run 3.0 with a modest (1.4V) increase in voltage, so temps are not an issue.
it will do 3.2+ with 1.45, but will not go much higher than that no matter the voltage.
heh, and i've tried it right up to the "nagasama's sweatin" mark.
you probably have found the ceiling for your cpu, is what i am trying to say.
i also have found that both of my cpus actually perform better OVERALL when they are run a couple/few hundred mhz below their absolute limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom