OCing my 6800GS AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
OK I just got my vantec PCI fan and put it in so it blows at the video card, it doesnt help a whole lot but it does and bit and increases the airflow (plus it looks cool as ****). Anyhow after putting that in (which was a *****, never buy a thermaltake x3 case, they are terrible) I tried to OC it using ATI tool. I got it to run at 425 mhz and 560 mhz memory, if I went even .5 mhz from the 425 I got errors, the memory wasnt gonna go very much further either. My question is, if I want my card to last a long time what are reasonable temps to keep it at? I mean this thing needs to last 2 years at least, I'm thinking 400/550. Whats your thoughts?

Also is there any way for manufacturers to tell if you OC? Like does it get recorded in the chip or something... I wanna know if my warranty is still there even though I know your not supposed to OC.

My card reaches 78 degrees celcius under the full stress of ATI tool, is that anything to worry about for a 6 series card?

One more thing, I noticed in RIVA tuner there is a thing about fan controls, and for all 3 modes (2d, low 3d, high 3d) the fan is set to 53%. Is it common for that to be the case? Should I change the settings so the fan is at something higher for performance 3d?

Alright well at 410 in 3dmark05 i was getting a few artifacts. @ 400/1100 I'm now getting no artifacts as far as I can tell. I'll test it with doom 3 for a while to see if its completely good. I must say using 3dmark 05 is a ******* to use to tell artifacts, so many normal things look like artifacts in the air balloon one, i kept having to change to default to see wether or not they were artifacts :).

K i didnt read all of it but i got some of the questions you asked. First things first use either Rivatuner or Coolbits2.0 on your Nvidia card. ATItool might work but i dont trust it becasue it was made from ATI to use on ATI. Also, most video cards have a threshold of 120c so anything under that will be fine and even if you go over your card will automaticaly decrease the speed of the core to cool it off. Also my GT OCed the way it is reaches 80 playing BF2 and FEAR so no worries.

TY for the reply, as for ATI tool it wasnt made by ATI it was just a bunch of guys that made it. I like it because of the artifact scanner. I think they threw the crappier chips into the GS which is why mine wont OC to 420 like yours does :( . Are you positive your OC on that card is completely stable?? The only way I got artifacts to appear was by looping 3dmark 05, there was a few spots on the mountain where there were textures missing.

Bah, it still says ATI so screw it lol :p BTW i use ATItool on the 9800XT lol. Anywho yes my 6800GT is completely stable at those speeds and when i get my WC kit it will go evn further.

how come nobody uses powerstrip?? i have it and i have hot keys set up so wheni m typing of surfing the web my vid is at stock speed but when playing games i hotkey that mofo!!!:D

Nvidia cards have 3 sets of different clock settings, one for 2d stuff (windows), one for low power 3d (not sure), and one for high 3d (everything Ive encountered so far thats 3d). So when Im in windows it automaticly sets it back to stock clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom