Ocing my 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevytrucknut

In Runtime
a few questions -

1) Is it worth it? I don't know how well the 6600gt will OC, so I want to see if it's actually worth it.

2) I want to add AS5 no matter what, if i do OC or not. How do I take off the HSF and apply this?

3) Do you think that if I OC, I should remove the stock HSF and get a better new one? Or wll the stock one work fine?

4) Do they make really slim coolers? I only have like 1.5 inches before you get to my PCI slot for my wireless card, and I am kinda thinkin there won't be enough room...

Well all these problems can be answered once u hit ur limit OC on stock equipment.

1) Only you can tell us if your particular card is a good overclock. It would be worth it too try. You might find your card is an insane OCer. :)
2) Its ard to explain what your looking for. There are these little plastic pieces comming out of the bottom of your card. If your squeeze them together then they will spring back through the bottom and release the HSF. Not a good description. Some1 is boud to have a picture to show you though.
3) If your happy with the over clock dont bother with another HSF. It really only depends if your games start crashing due to overheating and such.
4) No idea. I very rarely look at additional coolers :(

I have an MSI 6600GT

1. Yes its worth it. I've been able to bump up the resolution and some of the settings in games like BF2 and Quake 4 after over clocking.

2. On my card there are no plastic clips. There are 4 screws, and a backing plate on the rear of the card. Remove the 4 screws, the heatsink/fan should still be attached though due to the thermal paste. Pull it off, remove the thermal past from the heatsink and the gpu using acetone or isopropyl alcohol.

3. It really depends on the card. With the stock heatsink I had my card OC'd to 560/1100, then I bought a Zalman heatsink/fan for it and I was able to OC it to 590/1300 stable, but the performance actually worsened on benchmarks. Right now its at the optimum of 570/1150, but hecause its also 10 degrees cooler at idle and almost 20 degrees cooler under load than it was with the stock heatsink I'm able to push up the setting on games higher before it starts to over hear or become unstable.

4. I've not seen a decent after market heatsink/fan set up that didnt take up the next pci slot on the mobo.

1) Definitly worth seeing how far you can go, a good thing to do is gat ATI tool and scan for artifacts each 5 mhz, and run 3dmark05 or something to be sure. If you get a good OC you will probably notice the difference, OCing my 6800gs gets me 10 fps more in doom 3 with aa on 4 and af on 16.

2) If you dont OC this is pointless IMO, it will just void your warranty on the card. Who cares what the temps are if you dont intend to OC, if anything goes wrong BAM you can RMA it.

3) You can probably get a decent OC with the stock heatsink which is what I did, to me spending 30 bucks on a GPU heatsink doesnt make sense when the next model up is about that much more.

4) No idea, cant you just move the wireless card down a pci slot or 2, or are you full?

Mr_Threepwood said:
1) Definitly worth seeing how far you can go, a good thing to do is gat ATI tool and scan for artifacts each 5 mhz, and run 3dmark05 or something to be sure. If you get a good OC you will probably notice the difference, OCing my 6800gs gets me 10 fps more in doom 3 with aa on 4 and af on 16.

Can't you just scan for artifacts with your eyes?

Ryan

heh, well if you have to strain your eyes to see artifacts, then they're probably not a big deal. just go with what you see...if you don't see artifacts, then they're not there as far as you're concerned

lol Mr. Threepwood, thanks for those comments, that makes a lot of sense.

edit: I just found out I'll be getting a pretty nice tax refund, so goodbye 6600gt and hello 7800gt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom