OCing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
So, after amateurly OCing my below setup to just below 4, I want to try push it beyond 4. Or basically as far as I can :D Could someone give me some help doing so?

What information will be needed?

I can tell you right now that the 680i and 780i are not the best overclockers. I've owned both, EVGA models. The biggest problem is with the NB chip, it gets way to hot, hot, hot. Here are a few pictures of the fans I added to the mobo to help cool it off.

I'd say he's not planning to keep it much higher than 4Ghz...
Yami, how about posting up some current temps? Load/Idle/Ambient/Mobo/etc.

Trying to get it stable above 4GHz, and hopefully stable enough to just keep it there. But this is also fun, fun with meddling ^_^ I also want to try and match my friend who has an almost identical setup to me 'cept he has an E8500.

Temps were a lot better back when I put this together in spring, but now it's the tail end of summer which gives me ambients about 5C extra. Anyway, giving averages for cores:
Load: Highest I've seen is 55c, running Prime95 (and Intel Burn Test but it only went to 53 with that)
Idle: In spring it was about 28-29, now it's 32-33.
Ambient: Not entirely sure (couldn't find a thermometer :p) but I imagine between 25 and 30.

The biggest problem is with the NB chip, it gets way to hot, hot, hot. Here are a few pictures of the fans I added to the mobo to help cool it off.
I see; my XFX one came with a fan where you have one, the one which blows into the CPU HS. Unfortunately I don't think I can put one on the rear I/O.

I can take photos of my current BIOS settings, if that would help. Not easy to photo a CRT though :p

or just write them down. and we will go from there. my dad has a 790i ultra so i am a little familiar with the newer 7 series chipsets.

Will do, and report back in a min.

Edit: Well, booted ok at increased voltages. Doing 6 passes of Intel Burn Test.
EditII: Passed the test successfully, temps didn't go above 58 (72.4 being the E8400's max according to Intel).

EditIII: Have managed to up to 3.95GHz (1755 FSB), but it will BSOD while booting if I go up to 1760 FSB -ran Intel Burn Test six times, stable at 1755.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom