OCing help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthscsa19

Baseband Member
I will be purchasing my parts in the next week. I will want to overclock this computer to a safe, but descent overclock. My components will consist of:

e6300 C2Duo
eVGA 7900 GTO
2gb Enhanced Latency Platinum XTC
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF
Gigabyte DS3 Mobo

other (probably not as important to OCing)

Western Digital 250gb SATAII w/16mb Cache
Antec 500w Smart Power 2.0
NEC DVD burner
Cooler Master Centurian 5 case

My question is, are their any guides for OCing C2D processors and OCing the 7900 GTO? Also, are their any components that I should reconsider that will hinder my OCing abilities?

Also, is there a good general overclocking article that is geared toward new OCers? I have overclocked before, but I'd like to have a quick refresher before I start overclocking.

Thanks.

Well, I went ahead and ordered this, but upgraded to the e6600 for about $100. The boost to performance was just to much to give up.

I cant say enough about my e6600. Its good that you ordered a good heatsink... although for o/c there are certainly better. Ninja, Noctua, Big typhoon etc... but yours will do a nice job if your case ventilation is good.

The DS3 is a great board for o/c a conroe - good choice!

Just so you know what to expect... at idle (with a stock hsf) i got around the 20 degree mark... (Not overclocked)

I put a sonic tower with a 13cm fan inbetween the towers, and now have it running at 3.3 Ghz at idle of 28-30 degrees. 41 under stress tests.

I know that this thing can do 3.6 on air if you get a good specimen and the correct cooling... but yours should happily do 3.4 with that cooling set up.
Watch out for the RAM dividers in the Bios... tricky to work out. Dont show up as ratios... (see my post about e6600 RAM multiplier)
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom