OC'ing on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok..I'm sure a lot of you will think of me as stupid for this, but I haven't overclocked before, and this mobo's BIOS layout is different than what I'm used to, as well... So, here's my question... I know what values to modify the timings of my RAM (after pressing Ctrl+F1), and the multiplier of my CPU, but that's about it that I can tell straight-forward. What I'm not sure about is which values are there to modify the voltage/etc of my CPU/RAM? All I saw related to voltage was "over voltage" and those were "+0.1" or w/e (been a while since I've looked). So...which values are the right ones for me to modify? Keep in mind, I haven't OC'd before, so this'll be a new experience for me =P. Specs for the comp are in sig (PC 2 of 2 in animation).

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Edit: Have to go for about an hour or so, but I shall be back/respond to any replies I get. Thanks again.

This is all done under the M.I.T.

For starters:

CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency: 346MHz (This will set the CPU frequency to 2.7GHz)
System Memory Multiplier: 2.00 (This will set the RAM to run at the same frequency as the FSB, for a 1:1 ratio.)
Performance Enhancement Setting: Standard (Will help in stabilizing the overclock.)
Memory timings: (Press Ctrl + F1 at the main menu, and then go back to the M.I.T., to set them. I suggest you set them at manufacturer's specs, to start.)
System Voltage Control: Manual (Better than leaving it at automatic, beacause auto gives more voltage than needed.)

Then stress with Orthos. It's best to run the stress test for 8+ hours. So run this test, while you're sleeping, or whenever you have the time.

After the stress test, passes for 8 hours, with no error...continue to increase the CPU Host Freq., in increments of 10-15MHz. Then stress with Orthos. Stress the overclock, for every increase in the CPU Host Freq. (FSB).

Now, if the stress fails with a reboot or freezing of the computer, or if the Orthos just stops....go back to the M.I.T., and increase the CPU Voltage Control, by the next highest notch.

Once you get higher than maybe, 400FSB, start to set the FSB and MCH overvoltages at +0.1v, to help with the stability.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it =). Ups to you especially, b1g, always come through for the newbs xD.

off topic a bit... but sorta on topic.. this one overclocking guide says to go find the highest recommended voltage for your CPU and crank it up all the way up there... and then start increasing the FSB and stress testing... is that really acceptable or is the normal OC'ing way better

That is another method of doing it. Like setting the CPU voltage at 1.55v, which I think is the breaking for air. Also depends on the temperatures. But surely, you should not go above 1.6v for everyday use.

I think the normal method is better, so it's easier to find the lowest stable voltage.

That is another method of doing it. Like setting the CPU voltage at 1.55v, which I think is the breaking for air. Also depends on the temperatures. But surely, you should not go above 1.6v for everyday use.

I think the normal method is better, so it's easier to find the lowest stable voltage.

I agree. It may be more time consuming, but at least you ensure the stability of the overclock and decrease the possibility of damage to the CPU by not immediately upping the volt all the way.

thats what i thought... but i was like... that may work... always good to ask the overclocking master... :p

anyways what voltage is your q6600 at?

Quick question... CPU-Z says my multiplier is stuck at x6, but I know it was set at x8 (and I saw it switch to x8 a couple times in CPU-Z, but then go back to x6). I know somebody else on here had this problem, but they just had to disable a few settings in the BIOS to control that, but I'm not sure what they were...anybody know what they were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom