OC'ing for the first time help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki9090

In Runtime
hey all, the rig im using is on an ASUS p5pld2 Mobo, im using a pentium 4 proccessor thats clocked at 3ghz with a 2mb L2 cache, 1gb duel channel (2x512) of ddr2 533mhz ram, and a MSI NX6600GT in the PCI express slot.

Now the 3 games im play mostly are Age of Empires 3, Counter Strike Source, Americas army. but i hope to buy battle feild 2 and battle feild vietnam soon which i tihnk m system amy need a boost to perform in running.

I run CS with high setting full res on 2x Anti aliasing and it runs great, Age of empires 3 i get lag online (dont know if its hardware or my internet) but in single player i can run with virtually no slow down ( i hit small bumps of lag when i scroll over the map quickly but never in combat ect) So i have been pretty happy.

So here comes the questions, i dont know how to OC at all and dont know how far to OC, im not sure where the main problem is going to be with running those games in the processor, RAM, or in the Card. So tell me which would be my best bet to OC and how to do it and how far.

Thanks alot guys. (Oh ya my ram is OCZ value series if that amtters)

I agree with nitestick. For OCing the video card, you will want to download a program called rivatuner. Once you download it, you can change the clock frequencies of the core and memory. Expect around a 70 mhz jump in core and 1.2 ghz jump in memory.

Your card is begining to show it's age though. You might want to think about saving up so in the near future you can get a new video card.

reggie_da_man said:
Your card is begining to show it's age though. You might want to think about saving up so in the near future you can get a new video card.

when the g8's come out ill probably spring for a 7800GTX or 7900GTX cause they will drop in price.

Also i went in to BIOS to over clock and this thing is in their called N.O.S wich is some Ocing program from asus, so i cranked it to 15 percent and put the voltage on auto so it will put the demanded power to the fsb and everything and now im looking at 3.2-3.4ghz depending on the load (it increases to a max of 15 percent, but i could ahve put it as high as 40).

So hopefully it doesnt explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom