OC'ing Corsair XMS Xtreme RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I have two 512's and loading times in Doom 3 and HL2 are long and im sure it would help the overall performance. So basically wondering if anyone has the same RAM and how far they OC'd it and how. It has platinum heat spreaders so im sure you can OC very far. Im not a complete noob to oc'ing but I do know the basics. Thanks for the help

It has platinum heat spreaders so im sure you can OC very far.
That doesn't really make a difference. Most people think heatspreaders really don't do anything. Unless you have insane OC's with RAM voltages of like 3.2v for the most part heatspreaders don't have an effect or so the general concensus says.

I have two 512's and loading times in Doom 3 and HL2 are long
How are loading times long? You got a 64 with a 1gb of high performance RAM, yours should be loading faster than most peoples.

Im not a complete noob to oc'ing but I do know the very basics.

Well really the only principle of CPU OC'ing applies here and that is raising the Voltage for stability.

You won't need to do that right off the bat though.

Anyway, once you go past 200FSB as long as you have your CPU:RAM ratio set properly you will be OC'ing your RAM.

Of course it's best to have it on a 1:1 ratio so that the CPU and RAM run at the same speed....but this requires knowing the limits of your CPU unless you can adjust the multiplier then you can get the same stock GHz with a different FSB.

No point in having your RAM OC'd to 225FSB if your CPU can only communicate to it at 200FSB

I can tell you right now you won't get far leaving your CL at 2 because that's just a really tight timing as it is and for higher FSB's it's not a question as to whether or not you'll have to change it to CL 2.5

Basically you simply start upping the FSB at about 5mhz increments just like you would with a CPU or GPU OC.

Then you will want to test it with memtest86+

For the beginnings you can just use their normal test which runs automatically.

WHen you start reaching higher OC's then you'll want to use their extended tests which run a lot longer and more thoroughly test the RAM.

Anywho, it's basically a balance of, raise the FSB, loosen the timings.

Generally you can simply loosen the last number, the cycle time, from 5 to say 7 or 8 depending on how high you are.

This will sometimes fix any errors you might get in memtest86+

If not...then try upping the Dimm voltage by one increment.

You won't need to start upping the ras to cas and ras precharge (the two middle numbers) until you start reaching some pretty high OC's.

You should probably be able to hit 220 with 2.7-2.8 Dimm voltage and 2.5-3-3-8 timings.

Sometimes I'm bad at explaining things so let me know if you don't understand something I said.

Also realize when you start OC'ing the entire system FSB your NB can get VERY hot and if you have stock cooling then you probably won't be able to get too far.

Getting past 225FSB requires a bump to the NB voltage...this isnt written in stone, I'm merely saying that's generally the case.

i got to 220 with my corsair xms without changing my voltage and my timings are at 2-3-3-6. you should be able to get there with only changing your clock speeds. any higer than that is when you should start needing to change voltages and loosening your timing. this is where my computer just doesnt want to go any higher, hopefully youll have more luck. im thinking my problem may be due to the mobo because ive heard of some people having problems with gigabyte mobos and corsair ram.

After about 3 hours last night, no exageration, I got my CPU from 2.4 (3400+ AMD 64) to at the end 2.7. It's the first time I really overclocked, my FSB is at 225, my multiplier is at 12x and voltage is 1.600v. Does that sound right? I actually got it up to 2.8 but stupid me tried to get it higher and screwed the pc up and had to put it back down to the originial 2.4 and could never get it back to 2.8. I got the FSB to 230 somehow with 12x multiplier and got it to boot up but it wont anymore with those settings. I guess what i'm asking is am I doing this right? I've heard people getting there 3400+ to 3800+ but mines not wanting to do that and be stable. Is it cooling or something else? I think I noticed a pattern, if I change the voltage to low the monitor when restarted wont even turn on but the pc will, basically the CPU isn't getting enough voltage. When it's getting to much it boots up and locks up in BIOS or POST right? Anyway, thanks all for clearing this up for me.

Edit: Also, while were on the OC'ing subject, I can't find in the Video Card options in the advanced properties on my desktop. I went into the Nvidia settings and found nothing on OC'ing it. I know you can adjust the voltage for the AGP slot in BIOS but found nothing else. Do I need to download a seperate program for this? Thanks again

Coolbits and Riva Tuner are used for overclocking the Vid Card.....DO NOT raise the AGP slot voltage though as you will fry your card more than likely.

Your Vcore is low at 1.6 especially if you are overclocking. You need to run a program like prime95 for 12+ hours to see if your computer is stable with a particular amount of voltage.

We need to know your temps if you're asking if it's a cooling issue.

Also, why does your sig say 3.4GHz AMD64?

Its running around 65 at highest. its 3400+ amd 64 bit, or in intels terms, 2.4. Also, your saying my vid card voltage should be at 1.6? Thanks

No Vcore is related to your CPU not your AGP. I believe AGP default is 1.5 but you shouldn't have changed it in the first place so if you haven't touched it don't touch it now.

You should really just label it as a 3400+ AMD64 instead of 3.4GHz because most people will wonder if you're overclocking or something, not thinking 'oh hes converting it to "intel terms"

65C full load for that processor is pretty high man. You should either look into alternative cooling, better compound, reseating the heatsink or all of the above. Especially for that processor you should be at like 55C full load and even then I hate being in the 50's but those are pretty warm processors with the power they produce and it will take good cooling to keep it in the 40's under full load...but like I said you should shoot for having it not go above 55C on full load.

ok thanks for the info. i was overclocking not to be faster than everyone else but for just personal reasons, if I can improve the load times, then im going to try. just gets sort of annoying waiting 10-15 seconds for it to load, even though some people out there have to wait like 30-45.

Yeah I'd be running around my street(blizzard right now) naked if I could get my AMD to 3.4ghz right now.

....For free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom