Status
Not open for further replies.

[Judge]Iceman

Baseband Member
First off, my specs.
cpuzCPU.jpg
CPUz.jpg

The board is made by XFX.
My problem is, when in the BIOS, the option to change the FSB is there but it is 'grayed out'.
Now, I've read that people had to change their BIOS version to something other than the manufacturer's supported versions.
The BIOS version I have is not the most current, there is a P08 available from XFX's website. Here's where I run into my other problem. Every board I have ever updated the BIOS on, has been in an ISO format. Burn that to a disc and boot from it. Easy and simple. XFX's previous BIOS update was an ISO but in all of their wisdom, released the P08 as a BIN file. They also say to use their WinFlash utility to update the BIOS from windows, something that I was told NEVER to do. Soooooooo. How do I go about updating the BIOS with the BIN file they gave me? And will this even 'fix' the grayed out FSB?

Please and thank you!

My XFX 680i sli ocs fine.

You need to "unlink" the fsb to memory, then oc.

EDIT!

WTF, your boards a 680i with 780i chipset???

I have no idea. Someone else I was talking to mentioned that as well. What does that mean in terms of good or bad? LOL

Ill unlink them and see what I can do.

Its just reading the chip wrong.

cpu-z does that with both my board and the father in-laws board.

mine shows as a 650i when its a 750i and his shows as a 750i when its a 650i :p:p

Ok, well after I unlinked them and started playing around, I bumped it in 300MHz increments. I'm up to 3.3GHz. Idle is ~35C and under load it capped out at ~52C. I ran a 15 minute stress test to see the temps I would approx get. I don't really want to get it any warmer than that. Does that sound about right, speed : temp ratio?

Ok, well after I unlinked them and started playing around, I bumped it in 300MHz increments. I'm up to 3.3GHz. Idle is ~35C and under load it capped out at ~52C. I ran a 15 minute stress test to see the temps I would approx get. I don't really want to get it any warmer than that. Does that sound about right, speed : temp ratio?

3.3 is nothing to be shameful of.
thats a decent OC.

Would there be any advantage to me dropping the multiplier down to eight and running the FSB at 400 so it is 1:1 with my RAM? The clock would be 3.2 which is still nice and I may see a nicer temp under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom