OCin..question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapishorrid

Baseband Member
I am wondering, if I were to overclock an a64 3200 (venice) just slightly (maybe like up to 2.2 ghz, or 2.3) would I have to adjust my ram at all? I'd be OC'ing with 6800gt, 1gb corsair value select (2x 512 d. chnl.) & msi k8n neo4 plat.

I figured my ram is sort of crappy for OC'ing so I'd just go a little like up to 2.2...is this possible with my setup and not really messign too much with the ram?

Use a memory divider, so that your ram runs at a fraction of the base clock. So if you are running 270 base clock to get an effective 2.7 GHz, you can use a 2/3 divider or a 133 divider which will run the ram at 180 so you won't need to oc the ram.

http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=142256

Fourth result for me and basically explains it no better than I can

Your memory and FSB as well as numerous other bus links in PC are connected and raising one will generally result in raising all of them...unlike your PCI and AGP speeds, your memory cannot be locked therefore there isn't any way to stop it from increasing when you bump up FSB speeds

Enter the memory divider...default on AMD64s is 1:1 or 200...meaning your memory sticks to the same speed as the FSB...you can change your ratio however that way your memory underclocks giving you headroom to overclock your FSB without overclocking memory

In your case the best option would be 5:4 or 166

so you won't need to oc the ram.

ok..judging by what both of you said it looks as if I don't have to really bother with my ram. Well I do, but I don't neccessarily have to "overclock" it.

So basically even with my cheap value select I'll be able to get my processor up to nice speeds like 2.7ghz (as mentioned above) ??

Also remember to drop the HT setting (HyperTransport).
You need to keep it as close to 1000Mhz as posible for system stability. At stock speeds it is running at 5x200.

Pushing the FSB up will also up the HT so drop it accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom