OC RAM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 34
Default OC RAM

Just upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB and I want to OC it as well like I am with my CPU. I have never OC'd RAM before. I think that im correct in that to make it faster you actually want to lower your values not raise them. Correct? Anyway I was wondering how low I can make my values to OC it and thus make it faster. Here are my stats as seen in CPU-Z as well as my PC specs.

640.0 MHz
3:8
11 clocks
9 clocks
9 clocks
24 clocks
26 clocks
1T

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4Ghz (OC'd 3.8Ghz)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x4BG) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ 880G SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
__________________

skullknight10 is offline  
Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
GhOsT1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 804
Default Re: OC RAM

You want MHz to be high.
Your clocks, or latencies, you want low.
I have been able to raise RAM voltages to achieve lower latencies. Of course, whenever you play with voltages, overclocking has more potential for disaster. Example, dead components.
Raise voltage at your own risk.
__________________

__________________
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: OC RAM

you will see ZERO real world difference overclocking your ram, install it make sure it is running at the proper settings and call it a day. all you will do is add a potential weak link in your computers stable overclock...
__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Riznarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to Riznarf
Default Re: OC RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
you will see ZERO real world difference overclocking your ram, install it make sure it is running at the proper settings and call it a day. all you will do is add a potential weak link in your computers stable overclock...
Yeah? Is that true? I have 2x4gb gskill ripjaws as well (ddr3-1333, though) and was considering lowering the latencies from 7-7-7-21 to 6-6-6-18 and knocking the voltage up to 1.6v. But, not worth it youre saying?
__________________
-Riznarf

ASRock H67M
i7-2500k @ 3.30
eVGA gtx 570 @ 880/1000
2x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333
Corsair 600w PSU
3DMark 11: 6595
Riznarf is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: OC RAM

@ Riznarf, your Core2Duo will benefit more from faster latencies because the Memory Controller is not built into the CPU, whereas the original posters CPU does have the Memory Controller built-in.

With that said your still not going to see much of a difference, and it will probably affect your CPU overclock (extra system stress).
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Riznarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to Riznarf
Default Re: OC RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
@ Riznarf, your Core2Duo will benefit more from faster latencies because the Memory Controller is not built into the CPU, whereas the original posters CPU does have the Memory Controller built-in.

With that said your still not going to see much of a difference, and it will probably affect your CPU overclock (extra system stress).
thanks for the feedback, ya sorry that sig is WAY out of date. Im running i5-2600k, 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws, gtx 570

does that change anything?
__________________
-Riznarf

ASRock H67M
i7-2500k @ 3.30
eVGA gtx 570 @ 880/1000
2x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333
Corsair 600w PSU
3DMark 11: 6595
Riznarf is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: OC RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riznarf View Post
thanks for the feedback, ya sorry that sig is WAY out of date. Im running i5-2600k, 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws, gtx 570

does that change anything?
Yes, don't bother oc'ing your ram. You'll be better off just oc'ing your cpu. As your cpu speed increases so does your memory bandwidth. Increasing your Memory speed from, as example, 1600MHz to 1866MHz also increases your memory bandwidth. And lowering your memory latencies will also increase your memory bandwidth. So the big question is what produces the most memory bandwidth. In my experience increasing your CPU Speed will generate the most memory bandwidth followed by the Memory Speed and trailing the pack are those darn latencies.

And it's worth noting that because the Memory Controller is built into the CPU, as you increase the Memory Speed or lower the Latencies, the Memory Controller works harder and runs hotter thereby increasing the overall temperature of the whole CPU. The hotter the CPU gets the lower the overclock, the lower the overclock the lower the Memory Bandwidth.

Generally speaking if your CPU is at 4GHz and you can still run your Memory oc'd then that just means you could run your CPU faster. Depending upon your CPU and heatsink most i5 2500K's and i7 2600K's can reach 4.8GHz, after that a lot depends on your motherboard. Some can hit 5GHz+ and some don't. If your up to 4.8GHz and it just won't run any faster no matter what, then you should try raising your memory overclock as your mobo is probably your limiting factor CPU-wise.

As for your system specifically, raising your DRAM Voltage above 1.58v is not recommended because it exceeds the specification limits of the Memory Controller Voltage to DRAM Voltage Ratio. The Default Memory Controller Voltage should be 1.05v and the Default DRAM Voltage is 1.5v. These two voltage are suppose to stay within .5v of each other. If you raise your DRAM Voltage to 1.6v then you should raise your Memory Controller Voltage to 1.1v to stay at the maximum limit, 1.15v would be safer but 1.2v is the Maximum Rated Limit. Your Memory Controller Voltage will probably be called the VCCIO Voltage in your bios. I don't recommend playing with these voltages unless it's absolutely necessary.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: OC RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Yes, don't bother oc'ing your ram. You'll be better off just oc'ing your cpu. As your cpu speed increases so does your memory bandwidth. Increasing your Memory speed from, as example, 1600MHz to 1866MHz also increases your memory bandwidth. And lowering your memory latencies will also increase your memory bandwidth. So the big question is what produces the most memory bandwidth. In my experience increasing your CPU Speed will generate the most memory bandwidth followed by the Memory Speed and trailing the pack are those darn latencies.

And it's worth noting that because the Memory Controller is built into the CPU, as you increase the Memory Speed or lower the Latencies, the Memory Controller works harder and runs hotter thereby increasing the overall temperature of the whole CPU. The hotter the CPU gets the lower the overclock, the lower the overclock the lower the Memory Bandwidth.

Generally speaking if your CPU is at 4GHz and you can still run your Memory oc'd then that just means you could run your CPU faster. Depending upon your CPU and heatsink most i5 2500K's and i7 2600K's can reach 4.8GHz, after that a lot depends on your motherboard. Some can hit 5GHz+ and some don't. If your up to 4.8GHz and it just won't run any faster no matter what, then you should try raising your memory overclock as your mobo is probably your limiting factor CPU-wise.

As for your system specifically, raising your DRAM Voltage above 1.58v is not recommended because it exceeds the specification limits of the Memory Controller Voltage to DRAM Voltage Ratio. The Default Memory Controller Voltage should be 1.05v and the Default DRAM Voltage is 1.5v. These two voltage are suppose to stay within .5v of each other. If you raise your DRAM Voltage to 1.6v then you should raise your Memory Controller Voltage to 1.1v to stay at the maximum limit, 1.15v would be safer but 1.2v is the Maximum Rated Limit. Your Memory Controller Voltage will probably be called the VCCIO Voltage in your bios. I don't recommend playing with these voltages unless it's absolutely necessary.
which in your case Riznarf, its not.

so, put your ram in, make sure its running at the proper settings and move on
__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Riznarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to Riznarf
Default Re: OC RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
which in your case Riznarf, its not.

so, put your ram in, make sure its running at the proper settings and move on
loud and clear, thanks fellas
__________________
-Riznarf

ASRock H67M
i7-2500k @ 3.30
eVGA gtx 570 @ 880/1000
2x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333
Corsair 600w PSU
3DMark 11: 6595
Riznarf is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phlippines
Posts: 6
Default Re: OC RAM

your killing your ram if you play with voltages.. OC for your own risk.
__________________

bontoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.