OC question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default OC question

ok, i know ther is so many questions about overclocking an Opty 144, but i'm new to this so i'm gonna ask anyway.

I just got mine set up about a day ago and i planned on overclocking it but i don't know enough to do so. i did mess with it a little got it to about 1.95 and temps at 56C (load), but i wqant to go as high as i can with the stock cooler (the stock will be replaced).
I've heard of people setting down the multiplyer and all that stuff as well as the HTT (or something like that) but i am clueless as to what to do.

My board has some decent overclocking features in the BIOS, nut as far as i can tell is somewhat limited. any help is appreciated and if i left out any info just ask.

Note, i'm running 512 of Pqi DDR400 RAM and a pic of CPU-z is attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpu 2.jpg (70.9 KB, 27 views)

\"I may or may not have put a loaf of bread in the dish washer\"
\"Once you go white a trailer is in sight\"
Old 07-14-2006, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to the yellow one

for the first time read a bunch of craps about overclocking that's how i learn how to do it and don't expect the things people going teach you right here and you would learn much for the first time, read then ask is the best way to learn here is to clear out some questions. it's a piece of cake if you grasp the concept very easy. before i understand it i found it confusing.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i basically agree. there are many tutorials on the net, several on the same page you posted this. no-one wants to post a tutorial. read and then ask questions.

if you can find memory dividers in the bios set one that keeps your memory well below the speed of the FSB e.g. 1:2 gives the memory half the frequency of the FSB. by doing that you can keep pushing and find out how far the processor will overclock. once you have found out how far the processor goes you can toy with the divider and memory latencies until you can get the memory at its highest possible speed for the maximum processor frequency
Old 07-14-2006, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to the yellow one

yeah like reading those few sentences would help you understand and know how to overclock, that's basically what's in the tutorial. you need to understand much about different things about it in order to do it correctly.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

thats what i thought. i just figured i should add that seeing as he seems to have an idea of the basics (e.g. pushing the FSB), his memory is generic so he needs to know this otherwise he will get very frustrated when everything looks right but it is still blue screening.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hmm, well my boards BIOS isn't that advanced (will be replaced with a DFI SLI Infinity in the next few months) and i can't find anything relating the the divider although i did downclock the RAM and push the FSB a little more so it's at 2070MHz.

another question, the BIOS is reporting the CPU idling under 50C bout 42C, but the programs i have (Speedfan and Everest) are reporting it at mid 50's, is sometihng worng or are the programs just not reading right?

Old 07-14-2006, 04:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well, my computer just restared for an unknown reason so i down clocked the CPU by 5MHz and so far everything is fine, the FSB is sitting at 225.

figured this might help with the RAM stuff:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram.jpg (52.0 KB, 15 views)

Old 07-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

simple.....in the BIOS the processor is not really under any load whatsoever so naturally the temperature will be lower

Closed Thread