oc q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

warlockben

Baseband Member
Hi all.
Frist of all i got the evga 680i sli a1 and the Q6600 and wish to oc it.
The Q6600 is the b2 ver , Right now my bioss is set to the defult settings .
And my temps are like cup 68c in the bioss it that to hot and what can i do
to get it cooler.
Dose it have some thing to do with the voltage setting in the bioss is so can some one
tell me what to put them at for my sysem specs (cpu/fsb/mem/spp/mcp/ht) i will list them.
i would like to get over 3.g for the Q6600 if i can.
And one more thing i got 4gigs of patroit pc-2 8500 1066mhz should i change the memory
time settings legecy setting. It says its 5/5/5/9 2.3v 1066mhz and in the bioss it says it 5/5/5/14 1.4v 800mhz do i need to fix this .

Here are my specs

evga 680i sli a1
evga 8800 ultra
patroit 8500 like to oc
raptor 150
zalman cnps9500 led cpu cooler
Q6600 want to oc
corsair 620 watt
bioss up dated to p31
vista 32
And is there any thing i need to deable in the bioss befor i oc it .

Well thanks to all that read my post / And a big thanks to the ones that help me
i just hope you all dont turn your haed and no one helps me out.

disabled what i needed in the bioss.
i set my fsb to 1433 it at 9x it gives me 3.23ghz.
my voltage are cpu 1.3/fsb auto 1.4/mem2.3/spp auto1.4/ mcp auto1.5/ ht auto1.2
MEM(ddr),mhz 1066 /
Memory timing setting expert(/5/5/5/9 2t) advanced mem setting (4/29/6/10/7.8uS

core temp readings are tjunction 100c/core 0 47.c/core 1 44.c/
core 2 43.c/core 3 46.c
if i go any higher then 1433 i get the bule screen of death .
it says memory dump .

U've either applied the heatsink and TP badly or ur thermal sensor has crapped..

Touch it, feel if its as warm as your GFX if so its hot, re-apply thermal paste. Ive got the heatsink too and i idle at like 35c , on stock ghz.

I would recommend getting an after market cooler to overclock a quad core. They run hotter than dual cores, and aren't as forgiving for overclocking as far as temperature goes. I'm not saying you can't OC it with the stock cooler, I'm just saying maybe it'd be a good idea. Regarding your temperature of 68c: that's entirely too hot, even considering you're not OC'ing yet. Check the voltage setting on the CPU (sometimes called VID, Vcore, etc) and make sure it's 1.3 volts, or in the general area (up to 1.35 is fine). If it is, your heatsink isn't applied correctly. As previous posters have said, it would be a good idea to try to reapply the heatsink.

Another thing, I don't really see any specific questions regarding overclock other than 'teach me how to do it'. Forums are good for asking specific questions when you're stuck, but for general questions like that it's better to take a look at tutorials that people have posted for overclocking.
Here is a good resource to get you started HOWTO: Overclock C2D Quads and C2D Duals - A Guide v1.0 - [H]ard|Forum
Take a test run after you've figured your cooling situation out and tell us what you come up with, we're happy to help!

edit: I think his computer died... he hasn't responded since yesterday morning. :'[
This one is for you, my friend. *pours out a fifth* You were a good, honest, hard working and fast performing e6700 in your short life. Your honorable 10x multiplier will be missed in the weeks of gaming to come.

I would recommend getting an after market cooler to overclock a quad core. They run hotter than dual cores, and aren't as forgiving for overclocking as far as temperature goes. I'm not saying you can't OC it with the stock cooler, I'm just saying maybe it'd be a good idea. Regarding your temperature of 68c: that's entirely too hot, even considering you're not OC'ing yet. Check the voltage setting on the CPU (sometimes called VID, Vcore, etc) and make sure it's 1.3 volts, or in the general area (up to 1.35 is fine). If it is, your heatsink isn't applied correctly. As previous posters have said, it would be a good idea to try to reapply the heatsink.

Another thing, I don't really see any specific questions regarding overclock other than 'teach me how to do it'. Forums are good for asking specific questions when you're stuck, but for general questions like that it's better to take a look at tutorials that people have posted for overclocking.
Here is a good resource to get you started HOWTO: Overclock C2D Quads and C2D Duals - A Guide v1.0 - [H]ard|Forum
Take a test run after you've figured your cooling situation out and tell us what you come up with, we're happy to help!

edit: I think his computer died... he hasn't responded since yesterday morning. :'[
This one is for you, my friend. *pours out a fifth* You were a good, honest, hard working and fast performing e6700 in your short life. Your honorable 10x multiplier will be missed in the weeks of gaming to come.

he already has one.. didn't u read the OP? the Zalman CNPS9500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom