NVIDIA G80 Spy Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm quite worried that the design of graphics cards is getting somewhat ridiculous. is it really progress when for some reason we almost need a server chassis with the good old mounting bracket at the front (used for SCSI cards and CPU boards) just to install a graphics card? seriously the only card i have seen longer than this is a 10 year old Mylex SCSI RAID card from my server PC.

DAC960PL.jpg

don't even get me started on power consumption.........

300 watts?!! :eek: - if this is true I admit being wrong last month with my guess of 400w for a complete system. :eek:

Looks to be a bit longer than a motherboard comparing the distance from the end of the PCIE slot. It is still humongous though.

That is utterly ridiculous. The thing is massive, and 300 watts?!!
For gosh sakes, this is NOT innovation, and hardly a step forward.
Increasing the power of any processing unit requires you to also monitor the power consumption. How far do you think CPU manufacturers would get if they did not do as such?
We need a different approach. Perhaps dual-core GPU's?

I won't buy something like this.

I plan to wait for the second generation of directx 10 cards, by then power consumption should come down as nvidia switches to 80nm production. I think i read an article many months ago saying GPU makers where going to follow the path of CPU`s and aim for efficiency....but i forgot what article it was...maybe its all in my head.

Yeah Looks like I'l be having to buy a new case seeing as this thing easily collides with my HD cage...

Again, Waiting to see what the R600 has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom