nVidia 5700 Ultra - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default nVidia 5700 Ultra

I'm fairly new to the OC'ing scene.. With that said I was looking to push a little extra out of my 5700 Ultra. I went into the properties and auto-detected best clock frequencies for my card. It pushed it up to 532/1002 in '3D performance' ..

A Few questions:

I wanted to know how to push this card a little further without upgrading cooling devices?

Fearing damaging the card; How do you test the maximum clock speed for the card (safely)

Should I also push the clock rates up on the '2d performance' aswell?

Are there any other tools to better help me in this besides the 'coolbits' nvidia registry?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

That is a good overclock for that card.

You can't really push it to the potential because the card is still on stock cooling, you would have to go with water or dry ice to really push it.

Download 3DM01 and 3DM03 and try both setting with 2d and 3d and see how you do, post screenies back, or PM them to me. I could help you further.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis

Wow that is a very good overclock for that card
Old 11-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

I got the same on my 5700 PC. Wel lnot the same but you know what i mean, close. It seems the 5700s OC quite well and when you do it increases performance alot. Go ahead and DL Rivatuner and OC by increments of 5 on both mem and core testing w/ the "test" feature until it says test failed. Then back it down until it dosent then go into a heavy game or benchmark and see if it has artifacts. If it dosent then its stable, if it does you gott back down some more. Repeat that until its stable.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I pushed a little more out of it after directing a few fans at the card.

2D Performance

3d Performance

Temp -- Idle after playing Half Life 2

So.. I shouldn't expect to get anything more out of this card unless I upgrade to better cooling?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to burned-ati Send a message via Yahoo to burned-ati

well i see that its a pretty good overclock but ur card seems to be running a bit hot at idle temps lol, its not to bad but if you want to squeeze max potential out of this card, i suggest mounting a socket a giant processor heat sink. with some artic silver 5 thermal gel. im sure you would pull 585mhz on the core and possibly 1080mhz out of the memory. i say use the socket a heat sinks becasue there pretty bulky, really cheap, and work great. plus i wouldnt recommend spending 30 bucks on a vga cooler on a 5700 ultra, seeing is with the super overclock the card would still be holding back in high end gaming
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Hmm **** man thats some serious OC!!! Thats really pushing a bit far. Oh yea, thats also a REALLY good idle temp. Consider looking at the core threshold and looking at what its staying idle after OC. BTW thats mine stays at stock lol and when i push it w/ a game it only goes up to 55. I dont think extra cooling will be needed. Im not saying its not necesary but its really not needed.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

I'd get the Zalman VF700-CU vga cooler. I bought it and it lowed my temps to a very comfortable range. It keeps it cool and helped me squeak out a few more non-dangerous mhz out of my core. And my card is a terrible overclocker!

Ryan

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com
Old 11-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

dude geez thats over 100mhz :shocked: anyways i dont think extra cooling is necessary, and run 3dmark03 or 05

Closed Thread