Novice OCer

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounded funny, Jim. :lol:

It is called Overclocking, or quickening the speeds of the CPU. Graphics are more toward RAM and GFX cards, but the processing of graphics does get better. Performance is the reason you OC, to get quicker processing, response. This is not to be taken lightly by newbies. One wrong miscalculation, and you can damage your motherboard, RAM and/or CPU. Slaymate and Soul here can help you with that, if you ever want to pick a stab at it. I had previous experience with overclocking. It was just so long ago that I did it. You would get more performance in games with you GFX card and RAM. All an CPU overclock will do is speed up the loading time, and loading maps. You can do it on any computer that has the option in BIOS. Some big manufacturers of computers, Dell for example, will disable this function, because if you screw the overclocking up, they will have to pay for another computer. So they say no to overclocking. But any self-build computer will. Laptops are also often locked from overclocking. As they already run hot, an overclock would fry it.

Think I covered the basics...

Alrighty, after a 30 minute run with no errors, my settings are:

CPU ratio (multiplier): 20
CPU Voltage: 1.29375v
ICM: 1.22v

i5 760 @ 4.01318MHz

I think this is a very safe voltage range. According to Slay.

Ask away, dude! :)

Those voltages sound pretty good.

4GHz with your memory at 1600MHz is really the sweet spot for most i5's that I've seen. To go higher, especially with 8GB (4x2GB), you need to have a cpu with a really strong memory controller or a great heatsink.

If you still want to try to hit 4.2GHz I would try raising the:

CPU PLL Voltage - 1.85v to 1.95v (once again the lower the better, 1.95v is getting high)

Raise CPU Voltage:
Increase the CPU VCore when: BSOD error code ***STOP: 0x00000101
LinX produces errors and the results are very similar
LinX errors happen within the 1st minute
LinX BSOD within the 1st minute

Raise IMC Voltage:
BSOD error code ***STOP: 0x00000124 "general hardware failure"
LinX errors happen only after 10 min or more
LinX hangs but does not BSOD
LinX reboots system without BSOD

Raise the CPU PLL Voltage when changing the ^^settings above^^ no longer helps.

Raise the PCH Voltage (1.2v -1.3v max.) when you notice Sound, Drive, USB, etc... abnormalities. You shouldn't need to adjust this and to many volts can cause as much instability as to little.

I'm good Slay. Thanks for all your help. I already have bragging rights to all my friends. :p

Edit: Actually, that's 1200, Slay..

mem.png

Thanks Mind.
That sounded funny, Jim.
Just thought I would ask. Did sound pretty funny, but even funnier if i had already worked with this stuff. Thanks for the feedback, heck even a reply.
I thought it sound something like that, and I do understnad how that could be a problem, but I dont so much gaming on my PC. Im more of a graphics creating guy. Is that an area your familiar with outside of photoshop?

I have been wanting to put something together, computer parts that is, but it wouldnt be more than just replacing parts that work together. I have recently thought about computer recycling, maybe with some stuff from bigger computers. But usually people that have big money to buy great equiptment dont usually give everything away.

I use Photoshop CS5 myself. Crunching all that data would benefit from an OC. Not every CPU has that potential to go through the clouds, though.

Well, make a thread in Building General Computers, and we can tell ya what goes with what. ;)

Mindovermaster said
I use Photoshop CS5 myself

I still have the CS3 from when I attended class.

So an OC would benefit my image creation? Could you explain? And as you said I would need to use a computer MB other than that from dell?
Lets start there.

No matter what version of PS you have, it does a lot of rendering. Which takes up CPU power.

Any self built system, you can overclock. Any Dell, HP, Compaq, Acer, Gateway, Sony, etc. can 99% of the time not be OCed, unless unlocked, which we do not discuss. Any retail board, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. can be OCed.

(Over 4k points! whooooo!)

Hey Slay. Before you assumed It had 2x 4GB. In fact, it has 4x 2GB. Would that make a difference in the DRAM frequency settings?

I'm assuming you have a 4x2GB setup

Have you read my i7 Overclocking Guide?
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

i7 Overclocking Guide said:
Memory Frequency / DRAM Frequency
This setting will be displayed as a Ratio (2:6, 2:8, 2:10, 2:12, etc...) or as a Multiplier (6, 8, 10, 12, etc...). If you are presented with a ratio then you simply take the second number and that is your Multiplier. At the default BLCK setting of 133 we see that each Multiplier corresponds to the following Speeds.
BLCK x Memory Multiplier = DRAM Frequency
133 x 6 = 798 (800 MHz)
133 x 8 = 1064 (1066 MHz)
133 x 10 = 1330 (1333 MHz)
133 x 12 = 1596 (1600 MHz)
133 x 14 = 1862 (1866 MHz)
133 x 16 = 2128 (2133 MHz)
So why do some manufacturers give us ratio's, just what is that all about? Using 2:10 as an example, for every (2 MHz of the BLCK) : the memory bus speed (increases by 10 MHz). So at the default BLCK speed of 133 MHz we have 66.5 sets of 2 MHz multiplied by 10 equaling 665 MHz.
(133 MHz/2) x 10 = DRAM Bus Speed
66.5 MHz x 10 = 665 MHz Bus Speed (This will match the memory speed shown by CPU-Z)
665 MHz x 2 = 1330 MHz (our memory is Double Data Rate, DDR, so we multiply by 2).

To answer your question.
MindoverMaster said:
Would that make a difference in the DRAM frequency settings?
No, the DRAM Frequency needs to be @ 1066 or 8 or 2:8 (all the same) with the BCLK @ 200 in order for the memory to run at 1600 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom