Noobie OC help on bios setting 4 GA-P35-DS3R mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

avro222

Solid State Member
Hello,

I'm a noob on OC'ing my computer and I need a little help from a OC guru who's familiar with the gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R rev.1 mobo. I've done extensive search on guides and tutorials to help me but there is one thing I just can't find in my bios.

On all the guides I've been reading, it says to lock down the pci bus speed (or pci clock synchronization) to 33mhz. I was able to find and either adjust the voltage, speed or disable functions specified in the guides except this one, locking down the pci bus speed to 33mhz. I've looked but I can't find it (and yes I've done the ctrl+f1 to access the hidden options). I realize it's probably worded differently but even googling for help didn't turn up anything. Anyone know where it is? cause I sure can't find it in my bios unless my gigabyte mobo just doesn't have it.

BTW my goal is not to over OC my computer too agresively but trying to get my cpu from the default 2.4ghz to 3.2ghz.

quick overview of my computer
(detailed specs captured from cpu-z below)

mobo - gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R rev.1
cpu - q6600 g0 stepping
ram - total 4 x 1gb ddr2 800
heatsink - Coolermaster Hyper TX2 w/ 120mm fan
case fan - 2 intake and 1 out
cpu and heatsink both lapped (pre-lapped temp at 2.4ghz reading from core temp from about 57 to 65 on the four cores. After lapping the cpu and heatsink I get 46 to 55 on normal usage)
GPU - GeForce 8800GTX

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detailed hardware specks captured from cpu-z

CPU

Processor
Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Code Name Kentsfield Brand ID
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 65 nm Core Voltage 1.152 V

Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Family 6 Model F Stepping B
Ext. Family 6 Ext. Model F RevisionG 0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

Clocks (Core#0) Cache
Core Speed 2400.2 MHz L 1 Data4 x 32 KBytes
Multiplier x 9.0 L 1 Inst. 4 x 32 KBytes
Bus Speed 266.7 MHz Level 2 2 x 4096 KBytes
Rated FSB 1066.8 MHz Level 3

Selection Processor #1 Cores 4 Threads 4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU-Z

Mainboard

Motherboard
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co ., Ltd.
Model P35-DS3R
Chipset Intel P 35/G33/G31 Rev . A2
Southbridge Intel 82801 IR (ICH9R)
LPCIO ITE IT 8718

BIOS
Brand Award Software International, Inc.
Version F6
Date 09/07/2007
Graphic Interface
Version PCI -Express
Link Width x 16 Max . Supported x 16
Side Band
Addressing

Version 1.44.1

CPUCPU--ZZ OK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory

General
Type DDR 2 Channels # Dual
Size 4096 MBytes DC Mode Symmetric
NB Frequency
Timings
DRAM Frequency 400.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM 2:3
CAS # Latency (CL) 5 .0 clocks
RAS # to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC)
Command Rate (CR) 2 T
DRAM Idle Timer
Total CAS# (tRDRAM)
Row To Column (tRCD)

SPD

Memory Slot Selection (memory slot 1 and 3)

Slot #1 DDR 2
Module Size 1024 MBytes Correction None
Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz ) Registered
Manufacturer Crucial Technology Buffered
Part Number SPD Ext . EPP
Serial Number 7 E13E10E Week/Year 165 / 165
Timings Table
JEDEC #1 JEDEC #2 EPP #1 EPP #2
Frequency 333 MHz 400 MHz 400 MHz 500 MHz
CAS # Latency 4.0 5.0 4 .0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# 5 5 4 5
RAS # Precharge 5 5 4 5
tRAS 15 18 12 15
tRC 20 23 24 30
Command Rate 2 T 2T
Voltage1 .8 V 1.8 V 2 .200 V 2.200 V

SPD

Memory Slot Selection (memory slot 2 and 4)
Slot #2 DDR 2
Module Size 1024 MBytes Correction None
Max Bandwidth PC 2-6400 (400 MHz ) Registered
Manufacturer Corsair Buffered
Part Number CM2X1024-6400C5DHX SPD Ext.
Serial Number Week/Year
Timings Table

Frequency 270 MHz 400 MHz
CAS # Latency 4 .0 5 .0
RAS # to CAS# 4 5
RAS # Precharge 4 5
tRAS 13 18
tRC 15 22
Command Rate
Voltage 1 .8 V 1 .8 V

I've been adjusting the cpu voltage from 1.35 to 1.45 but I can't seem to find the correct voltage needed to push my cpu from 2.4ghz to 3.2ghz. (Unless I'm doing something wrong in the other settings.) I've listed below what I've done to OC my cpu to 3.2 but I can't even get Windows to completely load. The power would cut out while windows is loading all my background auto loading apps. The funny thing I noticed also was while I'm writing down the bios setting on paper, the power would cut out, so I had to restart again and again just to get back into the bios (total of 4 or 5) to finish writing down the settings.

robust graphics booster (auto)
CPU clock (x9)
CPU Host Clock Control (enabled)
CPU host frequency (333)
PCI express frequency (100)
C.I.A.2 (disabled)
performance enhance (standard)
system memory multiplier (2.00)
high speed dram dll settings (option 1)
DRAM timing selectable (manual)
CAS latency time (5)
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay (5)
DRAM RAS# precharge (5)
precharge delay (18)
--------> the rest of the ram setting left to the default values
system voltage control (manual)
DDR2 over voltage control (+0.1)
PCI-E over voltage control (normal)
FSB over voltage control (normal)
CPU voltage control -----------> from 1.35 to 1.45

I've changed back all the setting back to auto so I can at least get my computer up and running again (at the factory 2.4ghz) but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've gone over the OCing guides but I just don't see what I have to do. I know I have good cooling cause with lapping the cpu and heatsink I do get a 10 degrees drop in core temp across all 4 cores, plus I've installed an extra fan and the heatsink I got is pretty good. I don't think it's a heat problem (maybe), but instead a voltage control problem but I don't know what to adjust up or down.

any help will be much apreciated
thanks

I have the DS3L of the same mobo and also Q6600 and I can't get it to get stable higher than 2.8 either. I've done this to my bios settings to post 2.8 but no higher.

CPU clock (x9)
CPU host frequency (319)
C.I.A.2 (disabled)
system memory multiplier (auto)
CAS latency time (5)
DRAM RAS# precharge (5)
precharge delay (15)
DDR2 over voltage control (+0.3) Brings me to 2.1v
PCI-E over voltage control=> normal and at +0.1
FSB over voltage control=> normal and at +0.1, +0.2, +0.3
(G)MCH over voltage control=> normal, +0.1, +0.2, +0.3
CPU voltage control -----------> from 1.265 - 1.400

Max temp under full load = 51c
I keep getting errors on all four cores in Prime95 in under 5 minutes, which from what I've read seems to be a North Bridge undervoltage prob As I understand it, that's the (G)MCH voltage. On this bios, +0.3 is as high as it can go so not sure what I need to do either. My VID is higher than yours at 1.265 but I'd like to ge to 3.0 stable if not 3.2 or dream to get to 3.4

Got mine working so far right now at 400x9, Memory really seemed to be the tricky part. Be sure to up your volts to match your memory. I see you did +0.1 which makes it 1.9v (the mobo's you and I have are 1.8 at normal) I did +0.3 to get to 2.1 for my ram, yours looks like it needs +0.4 for 2.2 See if that helps any.

I went straight to 400x9 and 1.45v on my ds3r when i had my quad in it. I'm wondering if the board has a fsb hole somewhere.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help but something weird is happening. This is what I've done before I reset everything back to auto again.

CPU clock (x9)
CPU host frequency (333)
C.I.A.2 (disabled)
system memory multiplier (240)
CAS latency time (5)
DRAM RAS# precharge (5)
precharge delay (15)
DDR2 over voltage control (+0.3) Brings me to 2.1v
PCI-E over voltage control=> normal and at +0.1
FSB over voltage control=> normal
(G)MCH over voltage control=> normal
CPU voltage control -----------> from 1.40 to 1.45

With these settings I was getting past the post screen and into windows (complete) without powering down. I would run prime95 4x to put a full load on the cpu. I actually started with the VID @ 1.45 but it loaded windows right up so instead of stressing out at 1.45 with prime95 I adjusted the VID to 1.43 and run the prime95 on the 4 cores. The processor crept up to 80C. but I let it run for a few minutes then powered down and adjusted the VID to 1.415 I ran prime95 for a few minutes until it reached 80C, but this time I powered down right away.

Then I adjusted the VID to 1.40 but this time I noticed in the post screen where when I have the FSB speed set to 333 I see the 'INTEL PENTIUM QUAD CORE E6600 3.0GHZ (9X 333), instead showing E6600 2.4ghz (9x264). I went back to the bios but all the setting seemed to be in place for 3.0ghz but when I reboot the post screen detects 2.4 and after windows finishes loading and I run cpu-z, it too only shows 2.4ghz. I turned everything back to auto for the default setting 2.4ghz and rebooted to windows. Changed back the settings in bios for 3.0ghz with the VID at 1.42 and again at 1.45 but now it seems like the cpu is refusing to run at anything other than the default FSB speed. Did I just fry this CPU? or am I missing something?

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

First, I'm a total newb as well so take what I say with a grain of salt, but since we have about the same setup, mobo, I'll tell you what I've learned so far.

You have to cut speedstep off again if you reloaded the defaults
I put ram multiplier at 2.0 for a 1:1 ratio, anything else either wouldn't post, or failed quickly in prime95.
My ram is rated to 2.1v so I did +0.3 to reach that, I think yours is rated 2.2v so go one more notch.
FSB, PCI, and MCH all normal on volts in 1:1 ram
At 333x9 I ran stable at 1.28v, Currently stable 400x9 at 1.422v
Temperature getting above 71c on a Q6600 G0 chip is the threshold and bios kills the multipler to 6 and the voltage (could explain what you see in CPU-Z) to keep you from frying your chip, and 50c idle and 80 under load are WAY hot.
I had high temps at first and figured out I had too much arctic silver 5 on it so I took of the HS/fan, cleaned cpu and HS, reapplied tiny amount of AS5 and resat it. Runs about 37 idle and 58 under prime 95.

Try those ram and FSB settings and see if it helps, it did me quite abit. And if all you want is 333x9 you should be able to run much lower than 1.4v

You have to cut speedstep off again if you reloaded the defaults

Thanks brewabeer, I want to try out your settings cause I noticed that even when I change the FSB clock to 333 and restart, the computer will only run the default 266. I want to turn off speedstep but I couldn't find it anywhere in my bios. Where is it supposed to be and would it be named 'speedstep' in the bios (or something else) in my gigabyte mobo?

thanks again

I know the gigabyte has a place in the bios where you have to "enable" the overclocking. So if you pushed it too far it might have reset to "disabled" which would be stock settings.

Thanks veedubfreak for your suggestion but as a OC'ing noobie I need to know excacly what I have to 'enable / diable' in my gigabyte bios cause it's probably right there in front of me (so to speak) and I'm just not seeing it cause it's named differently. I've done the ctrl+f1 to access the hidden menu items but I don't see an menu item to enable or disable overclocking. Or for that matter, to disable speedstep from an earlier post. I also need to lock the PCI buss to 33mhz from the OC'ing guides that I've read but I can't find that one either.

OC'ing my computer is hard!! I don't think I'd ever get it to OC my rig on my own at this rate but please keep those suggestion comming and I'll do what I can on my end. THANK YOU!!!

BTW: a little OT but since I've been messing inside my bios to OC my computer, i noticed my PSU fan is acting weird. It's not powering down / slowing down when not needed like it used to do. Before when I restarted windows, the PSU would be running the (PSU) fan at 100% and then after windows is done loading all the apps then the PSU fan would slow down after a minute or so. It's not doing that no more and the PSU fan running at 100% all the time (being so noisy) is irritating. Could the PSU just happen to be going bad or could I have done something inside the bios to disable the PSU temp sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom