Noob here who needs guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrock

In Runtime
Hey everyone. I just joined up and was hoping to get a push in the right direction.
I have decided to build a computer for the first time. I will have the help of a couple friends who are pretty knowledgeable and have built numerous computers.
I am not a true gamer, but I would like my computer to be up to the challenge. LOL, my current Gateway P3 has the sorriest excuse for a video card ever. I would be using the computer for running numerous apps like photoshop, video-editing software, and the occasional gaming.
I figure if I get a barebones kit (Including processor, motherboard, ram, etc.) I can just use my operating system (Windows XP Pro), my cd-rw my 80 gb Western Dig hard drive, and my cd-rom drive.
I have found a kit from tigerdirect that I am interested in:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=775449&Sku=C122-2558&CatId=333

Any opinions on it? Price too high? Too much computer for my needs? Go with AMD instead and save some $$$?
Links to any reputable places to buy bare-bones kits? Thanks in advance for any replies.
-Jeff
Here is the cheesy description:
In one dynamite package you get the incredible Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor with its revolutionary Hyper-Threading Technology for rapid execution of applications, the mighty Asus P4S800 motherboard with a slew of incredible features, and one of the coolest computer cases youÂ’ve ever seen.
The Asus P4S800 motherboard is loaded with all the latest gizmos guaranteed to make your system take off with roaring power and astonishing speed while surrounding you with stunning graphics and audio/visual pyrotechnics. The P4S800Â’s stellar lineup of incredible features reads like a WhoÂ’s Who of Killer Components, including 10/100Mbps LAN Port for great gaming networking, FSB 400/533/800MHz memory, DIMMS for DDR400/333/266 up to 3GB. And thatÂ’s only halfway down the features list! This amazing board also has ADI1985 6-Channel audio for the astonishing sound quality that makes games really great, 7 expansion slots including AGP 8X, 5 PCI and WIFI expansion slot, as well as 6 USB 2.0 ports for lightning-fast data transfer.

You can be confident your system will get the attention it deserves when everyone sees the spectacular steel Mid Tower Case we’ve selected for this bundle. This striking ATX case, with its off-the-charts expandability - eight bays (4 external and 4 internal) and 7 expansion slots – comes with a rocking 420-watt Certified Power Supply - enough juice to make everything hum the way you need it to if you’re a true gamer. It also boasts two front USB 2.0 ports, which really come in handy because they allow you to quickly attach peripherals without having to trip over a maze of cables. This handsome case also comes with three clear case fans. And for a very impressive finishing touch it has a swing-out front bezel that gives it that sleek “GAMER” look. To prevent thieves from running off with your prized components, it has a security key lock, an especially important feature at LAN parties.

You better act quickly and order this awesome Cybertron PC bundle, because the only thing thatÂ’s not overwhelming about this package is the price!

This Bundle Includes:

CyberTronPC Computer Case Tower with 420Watt Power Supply
Gorgeous design, superb construction, and loaded with a total of 10 drive bays! And to prevent thieves from running off with your prized components, it has a security key lock, an especially important feature at LAN parties!

- Front Swing-out Bezel Cover with Lock
- 10 Drive Bays
- 7 Expansion Slots

ASUS - P4S800 - SiS Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP 8X, USB 2.0 WIFI, WOL, S/PDIF and 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Support
With the SiS 648FX chipset, the ASUS P4S800 supports latest 800MHz FSB Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron processor with Hyper-Threading technology. Supporting up to 3GB of system memory with the PC3200/2700/2100/1600 DDR DIMMs, high-resolution graphics via an AGP 8X slot, USB 2.0 and 6-channel audio features, the P4S800 is your affordable vehicle to enter the world of computing!

- Socket: 478
- DIMM Slots: 3
- AGP: 8X

Intel® Pentium® 4 2.8GHz / 1MB Cache / 800MHz FSB/ Socket 478 / Processor
The Intel® Pentium® 4 processor is designed to give you superior performance for digital music, 3D gaming, digital imaging and video, and more. In addition, the Pentium® 4 processor provides you with enough power to handle innovations on the horizon such as DVD authoring and MPEG4 video!

- Socket: 478
- Cache: 1MB
- FSB: 800MHz

512MB PC3200 DDR Memory Module
High-performance computing requires high-performance memory. For those who have been waiting for faster access times—crucial for high-level graphics programs—DDR memory maximizes system operation, and lets you get the most from your applications.

- Memory Size: 512MB
- Memory Speed: PC3200
- Pins: 184

Don't go with a barebones kit. Build yourself from the ground up. I know it might be intimidating at first, but its really easier than you think and you will learn allot by doing it. You will get a better and more expandable system if you do this. One day if you want to become a hard-core gamer, you will want a PC you can easily make into a gaming PC. Also, go with an AMD system, not Intel.

dude that kit sucks a$$, build it on your own like the other guy said. It is much more promising in the end. When u look for parts get a mobo with dual channel memory, and makesure you are careful with the proc, no celerons. If you want an intel get a prescott 3.2 or higher. If you plan to get AMD get a 64. I have always been a fan of intel myself.

AMD processors are better than p4 for apps like premiere. So if you plan on doing something like that, go for an AMD (plus they are cheaper so you can put more money elsewhere)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree, its a bit overwhelming at first. Since I will have some help, I guess it would be smartest to build from the ground up. Thanks for the heads-up about getting a mobo w/ dual channel memory.
Do you guys have any links to places that sell all the stuff (mobo, cpu) I need at good prices? Thx again. I dont want to risk buying something off fleabay and getting screwed on it.
-Jeff

Wartorment said:
Don't buy tigerdirect, use www.newegg.com.
Thanks for the link! Great prices and free Fedex shipping! I appreciate it. The only gripes I have heard about www.tigerdirect.com is that they are real slow and always try to screw people over with regards to rebates. Please correct me if I am wrong.
This newegg site looks real good, great return policy, etc.

Jeffrock said:
Thanks for the link! Great prices and free Fedex shipping! I appreciate it. The only gripes I have heard about www.tigerdirect.com is that they are real slow and always try to screw people over with regards to rebates. Please correct me if I am wrong.
This newegg site looks real good, great return policy, etc.

holy crap, they screw people over with rebates/!?!?!?! ****, i'm supposed to get 100 bucks back from them
damn, i'm gonna fkin sue them
anybody else heard the same thing?

na thats not true... i ordered a dvd burner from them for like 80 dollars. I got a 30 dollar rebate with no problems and i got my money back so... i dunno what ur talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom