Noctua NH-D14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you used watercooling?

In the past, yes I have. I hate having to screw with the tubing everytime I want to modify something (which I do frequently). And I hate buying a waterblock that only fits one specific piece of hardware. I still have a couple DangerDen GTX 7800 waterblocks that won't fit on anything else. And with a little planning I can compete with most H2O cooled systems so I just don't see the value in spending all the extra money.

Well I trimmed the NH-D14 so the memory stick in slot 2 is no longer making contact with it.

noctuatrimmed.jpg

Here's a close-up.

noctuatrimmedcloseup.jpg

Close-up with memory installed.

corsairclear.jpg

I received the Delta fans but they just don't work good with the NH-D14. With the TRUE, the heatpipes are oriented to the sides of the heatsink with the middle of the heatsink occupied with just fins.

truefins.jpg

The NH-D14 on the otherhand has the heatpipes spaced throughout the heatsink. Now if you'll look at the Delta fan, next to a "regular" fan, you'll see that the bearing in the center of the fan is huge. Well not only is it huge but no air is coming from this part of the fan so that area of the NH-D14 is not being cooled.

deltac.jpg

Since the Delta's were no help I decided to try stacking the fans.

3wayfan.jpg

3wayfanside.jpg

I've tried orienting the fans to push thru the heatsink and I've tried them pulling the air thru the heatsink with generally mixed results. If the NH-D14 was designed just for 120mm fans I think it would be a much better heatsink. Right now it's just Gianormous. Because of it's size I can't rotate it to control the airflow throughout the case and that seems to be the cause of my stability problems with this heatsink. I'll see if it fits better in my Office Workstation but for now I'm going back to the TRUE Copper.

so basically the noctua is good mainly because it's ****ing huge?

what if you strap a fan to the other end of it, like if it were almost on top of the nb heatsink, or is it just too tall?

^To an extent that's true for all heatsinks. Size really does matter :p
tbh the way he's had to set up the HS (because of the fans on the ram) is sub-optimal. I'm assuming the top fans are exhaust fans, with the intake for the heatsink directly opposing it airflow is going to suffer.

It would be a major pain to rig up a fan above the NB and then it would look like an even bigger piece of crap. I'm going to see what I can do with all of these different fans on the TRUE. I may start buying some water blocks thou I really don't want to, well see.

Edit:
^To an extent that's true for all heatsinks. Size really does matter :p
tbh the way he's had to set up the HS (because of the fans on the ram) is sub-optimal. I'm assuming the top fans are exhaust fans, with the intake for the heatsink directly opposing it airflow is going to suffer.

The size is the problem with the NH-D14, it will only fit one way on my mobo and the ram slots have nothing to do with it, the NB heatsink is in the way. The fans are all blowing in the same direction and I have tried them blowing up and down. Blowing down is pushing the air thru the cooler but it's filling the case up with hot air and I've had to move the PS to the bottom of the case and that compounding the problem. Blowing up is pulling the air thru the heatsink but it's just not effective at cooling the heatsink itself thou the case is cooler.

"Even if I could" rotate the NH-D14 I would have to remove the memory heatsinks and then the NH-D14 would be covering the memory sticks and the mosfet heatsink from any ventilation. While I was excited about the NH-D14 when I 1st got it, overall I'm just extremely disappointed. While my cpu temps are "slightly" lower the system itself is extremely unstable because of the poor ventilation options.

While my cpu temps are "slightly" lower the system itself is extremely unstable because of the poor ventilation options.

What kind of issues are you having?

I find it hard to believe that with your amount of airflow the simple change of a heatsink could affect your system like that

When you used the Delta fans, did you see an improvement in temps? I have thought about buying some higher rpm fans like the Delta's for my NH-D14 but if you did not see much of an improvement, then I probably will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom