Noctua NH-D14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaymate

Golden Master
Incredibly Large. I had to move my power supply to the bottom of my case and cut a little metal here and there to make it fit.

noctua.jpg

I 1st tried using the stock fans that came with the NH-D14 but the results were less than fabulous. Running LinX the temperatures quickly shot up to 80C+ and the test stopped with errors.

NH-D14 w/ Stock Fans

stkfans.jpg

I switched out the stock fans with the Silverstone FM123 fans that I use with the TRUE Copper and my temperatures dropped down to match the TRUE Copper. I will say this, the NH-D14 didn't seem to run quite as hot. While both heatsinks had a Max. temperature of 76C the NH-D14 only seemed to briefly "flash" up to 76C while the TRUE Copper seemed to sit at 76C for a few seconds at a time.

Noctua w/ Silverstone FM123 Fans

silverfans.jpg

TRUE Copper w/ Silverstone FM123 Fans

1600good.jpg

I'm going to continue to use the NH-D14 for another week or two and see if I can't tweak it's performance a little more, maybe a different set of fans. If I can't get the temps to drop a little more I'll be switching back to the TRUE Copper as the power supply is now heating up my video cards by a few degrees more than they were.

Edit:
OK, I've order a new set of fans. Let's see what a couple of 150cfm Delta's can do:thumbsup:
Delta 120x25mm FFB1212EH High Speed Case Fan - Sleeved Products Model: FFB1212EH [FFB1212EH] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

2nd Edit:

Here's a screenshot for Soul, who wanted to see my GTX 480 temps when the cards were overvolted and overclocked.

gputemps.jpg

Those fans are beastly looking. Think they'll push more air then a KAZE 3000?

Yes, quite a bit more air, and there only 25mm wide while the Kaze is 38mm wide. I do have a Kaze, at my office, I could try out as the top fan but it won't fit in the middle spot. It's to hot outside to drive into town for no reason so I'll go this evening and mount the Kaze in the morning.

lol wow slaymate, those fans look like they are off a model jet plane! and at 50dba, its going to sound like too ;)

EDIT: do you think lapping (sp?) will help the temperatures?

as far as i know it has a mirror finish to it too, but Slaymate is good at taking things to the next level and getting that extra few degrees out of his hardware. thats the only reason i asked

Slaymate, did you try out the delta fans yet? Why don't you have the air blowing out the back instead of down on to the video cards?

For me I am at 4.0ghz and my max temp is 70 with the stock fans.

What do you have your fan speed set to for the video cards.

You need to close some of those programs so we can see your wallpaper:big_smile:

Yes, quite a bit more air, and there only 25mm wide while the Kaze is 38mm wide. I do have a Kaze, at my office, I could try out as the top fan but it won't fit in the middle spot. It's to hot outside to drive into town for no reason so I'll go this evening and mount the Kaze in the morning.

Kaze is rated at 133, and those are 150. I think I'll stick to my $10 KAZE lol, but they're intriguing fans, remind me of the soviet's Tuplov Bear bomber.

EDIT: Just found this one lol http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36202&vpn=PFB1212UHE-F00&manufacture=DELTA Now that's a fan. 252 cfm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNICfDs4ug&feature=player_embedded

test

lol wow slaymate, those fans look like they are off a model jet plane! and at 50dba, its going to sound like too ;)

EDIT: do you think lapping (sp?) will help the temperatures?

The base of the heatsink is already flat so lapping won't help it. Flat is Flat, I can't make it flatter. I may need to buy some sound dampening material, well see.

Slaymate, did you try out the delta fans yet? Why don't you have the air blowing out the back instead of down on to the video cards?

For me I am at 4.0ghz and my max temp is 70 with the stock fans.

What do you have your fan speed set to for the video cards.

You need to close some of those programs so we can see your wallpaper:big_smile:

I just ordered the Delta's so I won't get them til Wednesday. That is the only way the heatsink will mount to my motherboard because of the size of the Northbridge heatsink.

I could easily downclock to 4GHz and increase my memory latencies which would drop my temps dramatically, but it would also reduce my performance so that is not going to happen.

With the Video Cards "over-volted" and heavily "overclocked" I had the fans at 100%.

PM me with your email and I'll send the wallpaper to you, there is no nudity.

Kaze is rated at 133, and those are 150. I think I'll stick to my $10 KAZE lol, but they're intriguing fans, remind me of the soviet's Tuplov Bear bomber.

EDIT: Just found this one lol NCIX.com - Buy Delta 120MMX38MM Dual Ball Bearing Case Fan 5500RPM 252.85CFM 66.5DBA - PFB1212UHE-F00 In Canada. Now that's a fan. 252 cfm...

YouTube - Fan Comparison

test

The Kaze and the Delta you linked to are 38mm fans. They will not fit in the middle slot of the heatsink. And the 252cfm Delta is really overkill, there comes a point when all the additional air is of little benefit. With the (2) Silverstones I've got around 210 cfm, with (1) Silverstone and (1) Kaze (results below) I've got about 240cfm and the (2) Delta's will be producing around 300 cfm. Will see what they do before I buy any other fans :D

NH-D14 w/ Silverstone FM123 and Scythe Ultra Kaze

noctuakaze.jpg

Using the Ultra Kaze dropped my temps by 1 to 2 degrees C. I wasn't paying attention and I had LinX set to run 20 times instead of 20 minutes so I stopped the test manually after 20 minutes.

kazew.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom