No boot after swapping cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris davidson

Beta member
Ok this is my story.

I have a HP760n and I am slowly upgrading it piece by piece. I bought this case http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-105-113&DEPA=1 and swapped everything over into it. I go to power on and nothing happens. Turns out the board was grounded because I didnt know you were supposed to use spacers. Ok well I didnt plan on going to get any that day so I just threw everything back in the origional case so I could have my computer but now im just getting beep codes.

Here are the codes im getting.

Motherboard w/processor only=1 long beep over and over.
*to power down it takes 5 sec pressing power switch like normal

M/B w/processor and 1 or 2 sticks of ram=1 long beep 3 short followed by 1 continuous beep.
*to power down i just hit the button and it turns off instantly
*ive swapped the ram sticks in every possible pattern to see if it made a difference and i get same code everytime.

MB w/proc, ram and video card=1 short beep followed by 1 continuous long beep.
*to power down i just hit the power button and it turns off instantly

The board IS NOT grounded, ive gotten these exact same codes in the origional case AND laid out on a piece of cardboard. The board is currently out on the cardboard as we speak.

Like I said the computer is a HP760n, the only thing not origional to the machine that is plugged in to boot up is the video card which is a GE Force 5900SE.

Ive never had any problem with this computer what so ever, its about 3 years old now.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Desktops...ilion_760n_Desktop_P6320A/display_~full_specs this is about the best info on the specs I can find online.

Ok a couple of things it could be.
One Long and Three Short Beeps =Bad Video Display Circuitry.
Continuous Long Beep = No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

Make sure all card and ram modules are in tight. If you have another video card try it out. Maybe your Power supply is going. If none of the above works, I would get a POST card ($35) and it will give you a readout of the problem. Or have it "evaluated" by a computer repair tech for just a diagnosis of the problem. And fix it your self to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom