newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bass_man

Baseband Member
hey. im really new to computer building and all that. i know how to use one, but i dont know all the technical stuff. i hear the word "overclocking" alot and i was just wanting to know what it is. any help is appreciated.

Overclocking is process of running certain components at speeds faster than that at which they were originally certified to run. Graphics cards and processors are the most commonly overclocked components.

Ya, overclocking is just taking advantage of the extra headroom proccessor companies give their processors to make sure they're certified for a certain speed. Sometimes you get good ones, sometimes you can only overclock them a few mhz. It's basically luck of the draw bud.

processors usually run at a set speed, which is calculated by its front side bus (fsb) multiplied by a multiplier. to overclock most processors, you make the fsb higher in thet bios and thus make the processor work faster.

p.s. IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY

Be carefull when you overclock something or else you could blow your computer up or it could get very damaged.

I dont think overclocking is for newbies.
last year i overclocked my athlon 2000+ and it burnt up and made the whole living room smell like someting was on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom