Newbie to overclocking; need help with i7 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are great! This is very helpful.

Back to overclocking the Alienware, I don't think I ever got an answer on this one:

"Ok, so I went into my BIOS, and was able to find a way to change the BCLK from 133 to 138. This would put the memory frequency at 1380, while it is rated at 1333, so I'd change the memory divider from 10 to 8, right? The only thing I can't figure out is the Uncore Frequency... I get that it should be minimum 16, but I can't find the setting anywhere in my BIOS. Is this something that is locked on Alienware computers, or am I not looking in the right place?"

I ran LinX again with the fans turned up to 100%, and the max temp was 67C, so I've still got 3C to play with mild overclocking to practice for the big boy.

I'm already leaning with dual 5970s lol. Usually when I say don't hold back, it means I won't blink at $4-5k. And, unless someone can tell me that water cooling will be noisier, I'd like to go that route.

must be nice :p

You guys are great! This is very helpful.

Back to overclocking the Alienware, I don't think I ever got an answer on this one:

"Ok, so I went into my BIOS, and was able to find a way to change the BCLK from 133 to 138. This would put the memory frequency at 1380, while it is rated at 1333, so I'd change the memory divider from 10 to 8, right? The only thing I can't figure out is the Uncore Frequency... I get that it should be minimum 16, but I can't find the setting anywhere in my BIOS. Is this something that is locked on Alienware computers, or am I not looking in the right place?"

I ran LinX again with the fans turned up to 100%, and the max temp was 67C, so I've still got 3C to play with mild overclocking to practice for the big boy.

id leave it at that, that gives you 3° of head room, the temp and potentially stability sacrifice isnt worth a higher overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom