newbie in need of help! no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

siliconjoe

Beta member
i am currently making my first attempt at building a computer and i bought a mother board that was just that: a mother board, nothing else. no manuals no nuthin just the board wrapped in plastic. it was tested and nonreturnable unless d.o.a. installed it into the case and plugged every thing in. i also installed an amd athlon xp cpu.
now when i turn it on all the usual bells and wistles sound as though it is working properly but nothing shows up on the monitr. i tested the monitor and works on another computer. my question: why isnt the monitor working?

two notes:
the jp1 switch was set to Clear CMOS Memory when i got it and installed it. the computer will only turn on though when it is set this way. when set the cap on default and push the power button nothing happens. now i dont know much about these things but with what i can figure out that doesnt quite seem right to me.
second, the "Embeded 256-bit 3D AGP Graphics Accelerator" has a 64MB frame buffer i dont know what that means but i do know thati only have 64 mb of ram installed currenly (the wallet hurts) is this the cause? and am i a silly jack:freak:ass for even attempting to make this computer work with only 64mb of ram

thank you for your time, any advice/ridicules are much appreciatted. sorry about the lengh.

~siliconjoe

Do you know the make of the motherboard?
Are you using on board graphics or do you have a card in it?
Do you have a graphics card that you can try in it?

i have tried both on board graphics and a card. neither work
the manufacturer of the board is pc-chips i have the model # but not with me. ive gotten the manual for the mother board and i cant tell anything that i did wrong. other than the cmos thing every thing seems to be in order.

first off do you have an operating system installed on your HD, if it is XP I'm pretty sure there is a minimum ammount of ram needed to run it which under 128 could really bog down your system.

So its intergrated video? You said i have tried both on board graphics and a card.If so remove the PCI card from the mobo .
See if you can get it operating with onborad video 1st.
You can look at the mobo to see what brand it is maybe
There should be some stampings or logo on it somewhere .
Try searching google with numbers that you find.You need to find out the manufacture of the mobo go to there website and download a manual so you can troubleshoot the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom