Newbie in the Making - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Newbie in the Making

Im looking to get into case mods, but i dont want to spend any amount of money higher than $50 to learn some basic skills. I dont want to be messing up a $250 Lian-Li my first time you know? So my questions are what can i practice on, and what kind of techniques do you guys use for modifying cases (side panel cutouts, mounting fans/brackets, paint, etc). AND... what kind of tools you use, i know dremels are used quite often in what ive seen, but more specifically what kind of disks and grits and grinders you use to get a finished product. Also if you know of any good links to websites or videos for DIY mods, tips and techniques would be helpful as well. Thanks a lot you guys.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Newbie in the Making

Youtube has lots of modding videos.

Unless you got cash, a dremel and hole saws are yourt best option.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

If you're going to get one tool to mod with get the dremel, get a good one and you won't regret it. After the dremel it depends more on what kind of modding you want to do which will dictate what other tools you want. However, you can do just about anything with a dremel given enough patience and practice.

If you're cutting metal, get the metal cut off discs, I recommend the reinforced cut off discs, they are a bit more expensive but the make faster and cleaner cuts. I find they also last longer therefore making up the difference in price:

Homedepot.ca - Search - dremel cut

I use the EZ Lock cut off discs, they are just faster to swap in and out than the ordinary ones. Both are great.

Best thing to practice on and still have a productive result is old cases, cruise your kijiji and craigslist classifieds for people dumping old cases for like $5 bucks. Mess around on those for a while practicing your cuts etc...also good for practicing spray painting, bondo work, etc.... and in the end you have a finished product rather than just some cut off scrap materials.

Other cheap tools I use lots of: $4 set of needle files for getting rid of the burs lift by the dremel set. I use a hole saw a lot but they are expensive so I'd stick with the dremel for now. A drill is key, same with a tap and die set...but again that can come later. Mouse sander for painting prep, also use a wire brush attachment on the dremel for this. And so much more....best way to learn is read other mod logs.

Great place for tips on modding cases is to check out mnpctech.com and the forum themodbrothers.com much smaller venue than this forum and they don't really touch on hardware stuff much but instead focus on modding. Good bunch of guys for anyone, very noob friendly with lots of constructive feedback and tutorials.

Other than that once you get to a specific task you want to do then post technique questions on that...for example cutting a 120mm hole with the dremel. It's easier to give tips on a specific task than modding in general, considering it encompasses so much.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I've got to agree with jfenwick. Excellent Advise
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

good advice jeff.

but i recommend getting a old and crappy case and practice on that.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
good advice jeff.

but i recommend getting a old and crappy case and practice on that.
Yup...ya learn alot just cruising old build logs of Bill Owen and Paul Capello.

Speaking of cases I picked up two today, a brand new P180 off the classifieds for $30CAN and an old Gateway PIII for free, that brings my total in the garage to 18 :P It's becoming an addiction, I'm not sure how my wife is going to park in that garage this winter...just cruise kijiji and craigslist every day and tons of dirt cheap deals show up for both new and used stuff. Will fit any budget.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Wow, thanks guys, for all your helpful input.

Closed Thread