Newbie building... Q's about price range

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnelson8611

Baseband Member
Ok... never built a pc before but I've had my hands inside different pc's for different reasons so I think I am ready to build.

I was talking to a friend who wants a computer but doesn't have enough $ to buy one. I mentioned building one for her if she supplies the money to buy the parts. Plus it could be an ongoing process.

I researched prices on the internet of the components in which a basic pc build would need. This pc would be used primarily for internet, small games, and schoolwork.

All together I came up with a total price of $1,070. This does not include discounted items or free components.
Is this what I could expect to spend for building?
How much has others spent on building their pc's?

it depends on how good you want the computer to be. if you want a top of the line... a processor could cost you 1000 right off the bat. List which parts you are buying and links to them so we can see what you are looking at.

I am not buying any parts from the internet.. I was just doing some basic research mainly of the parts used to make my pc. I don't think the buyer wants a "top of the line" pc, just one for basic needs.

I wouldn't expect to spend 1,000 on a computer for someone with basic needs. I spent 575 on mine about 5 months ago (excluding my headset) and here are my specs just to give you a rough idea:

P4 Northwood 1.8GHz Processor
768MB PC3200 Mushkin RAM
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM HDD
128MB 9200se Xtasy Video Card
VT7 Chipset from ABIT
Plextor CD-RW
Samsung 3.5 Floppy Drive

I've played Halo on my machine and it ran lag free other than loading times. So I am sure it will handle basic word processing and internet browsing lol.

Well, I spent around $800 on a new Processor, Motherboard, Powersupply, Graphics Card, optical drives, and a Case. These are the parts in my current configuration listed below. I already had the harddrive, soundcard, monitor, ram, and keyboard/mouse. I would say for a system comparible to mine, your talking around maybe $1100, minus the soundcard because you really don't need it nowadays with the onboard sound on motherboards. But if shes just playing small games don't waste $3000 on a graphics card. Pick up an ATI 9600 Pro or 9800 Pro, and you really wouldn't need a gig of ram.

Here a system I built for under $850.

Abit KV8 Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754
512 MB Kingston Value PC3200 DDR
80GB Segate Hard Drive, 8MB Bufffer
ATI Radeon 128 MB 9800 Pro
Aspire 520 Watt PSU (Not really needed but its nice to have)
Case
Drives

A system like that would keep her well prepared for anything that comes out in the future. As long as shes not a heavy gamer. But even still that system will get the job done on any game out now.

also. im not saying you have to, buy check the internet for prices. newegg.com does a really good job keeping the lowest prices and they are reliable. You probably wont be able to build a computer from a local store like CompUSA or something for cheaper than newegg. Though, if you can get really good deals locally, that works too. With basic needs, you shouldnt be spending over 800, let along 1000.

ak_smallz said:
also. im not saying you have to, buy check the internet for prices. newegg.com does a really good job keeping the lowest prices and they are reliable. You probably wont be able to build a computer from a local store like CompUSA or something for cheaper than newegg. Though, if you can get really good deals locally, that works too. With basic needs, you shouldnt be spending over 800, let along 1000.
Deffinatly, I strongly reccomend www.newegg.com, www.tigerdirect.com, and www.monarchcomputer.com. All have great service, prices, and have a wide variety of products.

Though, if you can get really good deals locally, that works too. With basic needs, you shouldnt be spending over 800, let along 1000.

The system I listed above, would be concidered mid to high range. But if your talking about a standard mid-range system, your not going to spend more than $600. I built a system a couple of months ago based off of a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ for around $500.

look around

look around at all your options, first off, for someone not looking for the most extreme system, go with amd, either an xp or a socket 939 athlon 64, i found a great buyer with quality cases (eye pleasing for the ladies) from the buyer plugnplaycomputers on ebay, i bought this system for 300 us plus shipping, and i bought another one that they always offer for 419plus shipping as a "buy it now" price, basically the system is:

athlon 2700+, 512 pc3200,80gig8meg/s hd, k7v88 mobo, GREAT scorpio case with window and three case fans plus lighting, a radeon 9550, cdrw/dvd combo, here is my try for a link for the computer : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52476&item=5136469510&rd=1

this is actually the first time in not seeing a computer for buy it now, but still some great comps and prices, especially if you are looking for an amd xp proc,
just some ideas though, at least check out the case, its pretty cool

try this,
AMD XP 2800+ processor,
512 megs of RAM
nvidia fx5200 (ultra if possible)
50-60 gig harddrive
cheap case/power supply(350 watt) combo
17-18 inch CRT(ask people you know if they have an extra can save shitloads of cash)
couple of fans, and maybe windows

good luck you should get it all real cheap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom