Newb OC'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
I'm a newb at this, and what all would I have to do? I know I have to go into the bios but I don't know exactly what I have to change or how much. Here is my mobo's manual- http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/dwn2.asp?model=AK31#

It says I can adjust these-
CPU Vcore Setting
CPU Clock Setting
CPU Ratio Setting
DDR Voltage Setting

I also want to know what the fastest processor I can get for this board is. I don't want a duron, I want an athlon but the manual also says it supports Athlon Processor: 600~1.33ghz

did you read the locked post up above on how to oc? it says basics to over clocking. that should help you a great deal.

as for the mobo...could you give me a link as to what type it is?

Yes I read the top part, I want specifics to my mobo. It's a shuttle ak31 v1 . I also want to know what the fastest processor is that I can use with this mobo?

Well I start reading the reviews for the above listed processor and find out that I need this instead- http://www.google.com/pagead/adclic...vyzaAMMAkOJacwy8CBMQAYax0kr5_DAAAAAQAAA&num=3 .

It has the palomino core that I guess is what my board supports. Here is what one of the reviews said-

"Installed this chip in a Shuttle AK31 since it was the max supported. That was for a palomino. Whoops this is a thouroughbred.OK Well to make a long story short had to clear cmos to post. I had been running a Xp1800 palomino 11.5x136 anything on fsb more caused stability problems and it had locked multiplier.It ran 41 idle 47 after gaming. This chip boots up at 20x100 2ghz as default with unlocked multiplier. With my board the highest multiplier I can get is 13 even though 14 is shown. Best I could do was 13x140 for 1.82 ghz. That also proved eventually to be unstable. 13x133 stock was the only stable combo I could get. But then it wouldn't always post. Oh well 20x100 2 ghz stable,posts,cool (34 at idle 40 after gaming and benchmarking burn ins). Really can't complain ,the only thing holding this chip back is my board. 2ghz
$73 delivered nuff said."

So which should I get? And what does this mean- "OK Well to make a long story short had to clear cmos to post." ?

well I just read the manual to your board and it says the max it supports is Amd Athlon 600Mhz - 1.33GHz....now you gotta realize that AMD Athlon is different from AMD Athlon XP. So that XP 2100+ wont work with that board, its too old. And when he said he had to clear the CMOS, theres a little jumper right by the battery on your board. When you move that jumper over, then click power to your PSU it clears your CMOS and returns your BIOS to default settings. That way since he had his FSB tuned differently and multiplier differently, it would be set at lower default settings. Obviously the settings didn't agree with the chip he put in so thats why he had to clear it.

All in all you need a new motherboard if you want to upgrade your processor. Like I said the most powerful chip your boards manual says is an AMD Athlon 1.33GHz which is this right here:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80235

If you're interested in overclocking....well for starters I have an MSI Motherboard and couldn't be happier, you can get the MSI KT6V or MSI K7N2 Delta (depends on which chipset you prefer KT6V = VIA and K7N2 Delta = nForce2 or 3 can't remember) and then you can get yourself an 2400+ XP-M...its exactly like the 2400+ XP except it has 256 more cache PLUS its the MOBILE version for laptops so it has less wattage..less heat...and great performance...keep on reading man =)

I have decided upon this fan for my cpu-http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-103&depa=0

I think it should be adequate, plus the specs are awesome-
Max Air Flow(CFM): 26.5/ 48.8/ 61.6 m3/h

61.6 cfm. That's alot isn't it? Anyways it's at a very good price and it glows blue which is a plus. I'm not worried about noise, I will 7 case fans and 1 psu fan going simultaneously. Has anybody used this before?

Edit: How is this possible-
Max Air Flow(CFM): 26.5/ 48.8/ 61.6 m3/h
Noise(dBA): 13/ 18/ 24 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom